1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to remmember these trigonometric formulas

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2
    Do not memorize these formulas, it is a bad habit to memorize so many basic formulas. What you should do instead is to memorize only a few basic formulas and then train yourself to be able to derive most of the formulas on that page within one minute.

E.g. I only use these formulas:

sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1

sin(2x) = 2 sin(x) cos(x)

cos(2x) = 2 cos^2(x) - 1

sin(x+y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y)

cos(x+y) = cos(x)cos(y) - sin(x)sin(y)

Then, if I want to write sin(a) + sin(b) in a product form, I look at the formula

sin(x+y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y)

and I then immediately see that you need to consider
    sin(x+y) +sin(x-y) after which you can put a = x+y and b = x - y. So, we have:

sin(a) + sin(b) = 2 sin[(a+b)/2]cos[(a-b)/2]

I can do this in 15 seconds in my head, so why on Earth would I want to remember this and the other formulas?

4. Dec 8, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi estu2! :smile:

Yes, you do need to memorise these formulas.

I remember it this way:

Sum or difference of sin always has a cos and a sin, just as in sin(A±B).

Sum or difference of cos always has two coses or two sines, just as in cos(A±B).

And a sum doesn't depend on the order, so it has to have cos the difference, which also doesn't; while a difference does, so it has to have sin the difference, which also does. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook