How to remove the magnetic property for screw driver?

In summary: I doubt that he is ever going to listen to you James.I would like to know how this magnetic tools work in Magnetizing and Demagnetizing a screwdriver.Does anyone have any suggestions?Thanks everyone very much for any suggestionsIn summary, if you magnetize your screwdriver having a magnetic property in this way, you would like to reverse the process, is there any approach to completely remove this magnetic property? so there is no magnetic property from my screw driver.
oem7110
Referring to following video, if I magnetize my screw driver having a magnetic property in this way, I would like to reverse the process, is there any approach to completely remove this magnetic property? so there is no magnetic property from my screw driver.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA3yC...eature=related

Physics news on Phys.org
Why suggest anything, in your last thread you just completely ignored responses and argued them wrong.

I'll bite anyway, if you heat it up to a sufficient temperature the magnetism will be removed.

James Leighe said:
I'll bite anyway, if you heat it up to a sufficient temperature the magnetism will be removed.

Do you have any suggestions on what range of temperature will be enough to remove the magnetism?

About a thousand degrees fahrenheit depending on the metal.

So you have to get it fairly hot.

James Leighe said:
About a thousand degrees fahrenheit depending on the metal.

So you have to get it fairly hot.

Thanks you very much for suggestions

At that temperature (God I so hate Imperial units!), you may well take the right temper out of the steel and ruin the screwdriver blade as a tool.
If this screwdriver is really worth saving then you should look up how to harden and temper tool steel. Here are the instructions - read them. At red heat, it will have lost the permanent magnetisation.

sophiecentaur said:
(God I so hate Imperial units!)

lol it's true they're horrible.

My american mind has been brainwashed to think in them!

At least on that link they tell you how to get the right temperature by the colour so, which ever side of the Atlantic you live, you can do the job.

A thousand Fahrenheit will not quite do the job. The Curie temperature of iron, oem7110 that is the technical term for the temperature at which a material loses its magnetism, is 770 C. Or for you fans of Imperial units 1418 degrees Fahrenheit. By the way there is nothing really superior of Celsius over Fahrenheit, besides the ease of remembering the boiling and freezing temperatures of water. Now working with a socket set is another matter all together. Especially when you get to the smaller sizes. Is that a 5/32 or a 1/8? And adding pounds and ounces. Worse yet if you are British you might have to put how many "stone" something is into the mix as well. In those cases I do prefer the metric system.

Ooooh, you're right, it's even hotter than I thought!

Anyway, in general, SI units own Imperial units.

sophiecentaur said:
That's the smart and boring answer. :rolleyes:

Red hot is free and more fun! And you learn a bit about the nature of steel too.

And perhaps the nature of the plastic handle too:eek:

Mmm smell those plastic fumes.

Just drop it from a reasonable height onto a hard surface. The shock that goes through the screwdriver is often enough to demagnetize something that is that weakly magnetic.

Have you guys never actually hardened and tempered a screwdriver?
But you are right about trying to demagnetise the handle end.

I'm surprised you have!

Seems like allot of trouble to go through unless it's your lucky screwdriver or something heh.

boneh3ad said:
Just drop it from a reasonable height onto a hard surface. The shock that goes through the screwdriver is often enough to demagnetize something that is that weakly magnetic.

I would like to know how this magnetic tools work in Magnetizing and Demagnetizing a screwdriver.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Magnetic materials can be magnetized in a magnetic field because the field will tend to align some of it's magnetic domains.

Demagnetization works by using a changing magnetic field in an attempt to 'scramble' the magnetic domains again, which will cancel the overall magnetic properties of the object.

Please see that link I sent you in the other thread, I think the 'true' underlying workings of magnetism would be very interesting for you.

James Leighe said:
Please see that link I sent you in the other thread, I think the 'true' underlying workings of magnetism would be very interesting for you.

I doubt that he is ever going to listen to you James

I do applaud you patience :biggrin:

cheers
Dave

if you hold it very near the heating element your soldering gun, switch gun on and draw screwdriver slowly away you will demagnetize the screwdriver.

This also works on CRT type color TV screens that have been placed too close to an unshielded speaker and got a purple "bloom" in the corner..

but why demagnetize a screwdriver? They're much more handy when magnetized.

Last edited:

1. How do I remove the magnetic property from a screwdriver?

To remove the magnetic property from a screwdriver, you can either demagnetize it using a strong magnet or heat it to a high temperature and let it cool down slowly. Both methods will disrupt the alignment of the magnetic particles in the screwdriver and remove its magnetic properties.

2. Can I remove the magnetic property without damaging the screwdriver?

Yes, you can remove the magnetic property without damaging the screwdriver. Demagnetizing it using a strong magnet is a safe and effective method that will not harm the screwdriver in any way.

3. How long will it take to remove the magnetic property from a screwdriver?

The time it takes to remove the magnetic property from a screwdriver will depend on the method used. Demagnetizing with a strong magnet can take as little as a few seconds, while heating and cooling may take a few hours.

4. Will removing the magnetic property affect the performance of the screwdriver?

No, removing the magnetic property from a screwdriver will not affect its performance. The magnetic property is not essential for the screwdriver to function properly, and removing it will not affect its ability to turn screws.

5. Can I remove the magnetic property from any type of screwdriver?

Yes, you can remove the magnetic property from any type of screwdriver, including Phillips, flathead, and Torx screwdrivers. The method used may vary slightly depending on the material and construction of the screwdriver, but it can be done for all types.