How to search for phrases in forums

• Thread starter jimmy1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to search for phrases in forums. The recommended solution is to use Google and restrict the search to the specific site. The conversation also mentions a bookmarklet that can be used to search for phrases in forums.
jimmy1
[SOLVED] How to search for phrases in forums

How do I search for a phrase in the 'Search forums' textbox??
For example, if I wanted to search for the phrase "Laplace Transform", how do I type it into the box?

I've tried putting a phrase in quotation marks but it doesn't seem to work! All the search results are results of the single words making up the phrase, and not the phrase itself.

Theres probably a simple solution, but I just can't seem to do it!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've found that the best way to search for anything on PF is to use Google. Just restrict the search to this site.

Thanks, that worked perfectly!

from http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/refinesearch.html#domain

Google said:
Domain search

You can use Google to search only within one specific website by entering the search terms you're looking for, followed by the word "site" and a colon followed by the domain name.

For example, here's how you'd find admission information on the Stanford University site:

admission site:stanford.edu

Last edited by a moderator:
Only staff, contributors, HWHs and SAs can use boolean searching. You could would then either use "Laplace Transform" or Laplace AND Transform.

I have a bookmarklet (based on some other similar bookmarklets on the web)
that seems to work for me [in Firefox 2.0 on WinXP]:

Code:
javascript:s='';function gS(w){for(var i=0;i<w.length;i++){gS(w.frames[i])};try{s+=w.document.getSelection()}catch(e){try{s+=w.document.selection.createRange().text}catch(e){s+=''}}}gS(top);{void(s=prompt('Physicsforums search via Google:','"'+s+'"'))}if(s){void(window.open('http://google.com/search?query='+escape(s)+'+site:physicsforums.com'));window.clipboardData.setData('Text', s)}

Make a new browser-shortcut in your favorites/bookmarks toolbar
with the above as the "URL" or "location".
Ignore any weird error messages.

Now, when you click it, a dialog box appears for you to type in.
If you highlighted some text before clicking, it appears in the dialog box with quotes surrounding it.

The search term "site:physicsforums.com" is appended to the contents of the search box and is sent off to Google.

It should be possible to make it a URL on the top bar on any webpage.

1. How do I search for a specific phrase in a forum?

To search for a specific phrase in a forum, you can use the search function or search bar usually located at the top or bottom of the forum page. Simply type in the phrase you are looking for and hit enter or click on the search button. This will bring up all posts or threads that contain the phrase.

2. Can I search for a phrase in a specific forum or thread?

Yes, most forums have an advanced search option where you can specify which forum or thread you want to search in. This can help narrow down your search results and make it easier to find the specific phrase you are looking for.

3. Is there a way to search for multiple phrases at once in a forum?

Some forums have an advanced search option that allows you to search for multiple phrases at once. If this feature is not available, you can try using quotation marks around the phrases or using the Boolean operators "AND" or "OR" between the phrases to refine your search.

4. How can I search for a phrase in a specific time frame?

Most forums have a time filter option in their search function where you can specify a specific time frame for your search. This can be helpful if you are looking for recent discussions or posts that contain the phrase you are searching for.

5. What if I can't find the phrase I am looking for in the search results?

If you are unable to find the phrase you are looking for in the search results, it is possible that the phrase may not have been used in the forum or thread you are searching in. You can try broadening your search by removing any filters or using alternative keywords that may be related to the phrase you are looking for.