How to Self-Study Physics: Exploring the Foundations of Modern Science?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of studying physics and the recommended textbooks for it. The main focus is on the importance of studying calculus, with specific textbook recommendations. The conversation also mentions the topics of relativity, quantum mechanics, and string theory, as well as the goal of unification in physics. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to look at college and university websites for course information and textbook recommendations, as well as a personal recommendation for a book on relativity by Albert Einstein.
Masua
Hello

Few months ago I watched a documentary about string theory and I found it STUNNING so I started to read a little about modern physics. I got myself a textbook called "physics for scientists and engineers" which doesn't require advanced math to go through.The modern physics section in it starts with "Relativity".I don't know how detailed it is but it covers special relativity in about 40 pages explaining the main points needed to understand it like the MM experiment, the two postulates of the theory, time dilation, length contraction, space time graphs ...etc..

Reading those pages felt really good, I really liked it and after watching many videos on the web and reading lots of stuff here and there, I decided to devote some time every day to read/study physics but I don't want to just watch videos made for ordinary people, I want to take it further, I was good at math in School but I had to give up math and study biology to get into my desired college (I studied Algebra, basics of calculus, trigonometry) I don't think they were so much but at least I won't start from scratch so I'm willing to study more advanced math and I'm sure I'll need to do that.

I want to go on with stuff like Relativity, Quantum mechanics ,string theory.. Let's say I have the same goal of Einstein's (UNIFICATION) :rolleyes:

I'm full of curiosity and enthusiasm.I do know that it's not going to be easy but I will try my best.

What do physics college students study?.. any recommended textbooks?

Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with studying calculus. You WILL need this a lot! I can highly recommend the book "practical analysis in one variable" by Estep. This book is suitable for somebody who's never seen calculus before.
After that, you will need to have a deeper and more rigorous treatment of calculus, and Apostol should be a nice read for that.

You should also begin reading a calc-based physics book. Take a book called "physics for scientists and engineers" and make sure that it's calc-based. Once you've completed all of this, you will be ready to move on.

Look at some college and university web sites. They should list the courses that a physics student takes (both required and optional courses), and the prerequisites for each course (which tells you the sequence that the courses have to take the courses in). You will often find a syllabus for each course which lists the required or recommended textbooks.

This webpage is full of good advice:
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html

As an aside I read a bit of string theory in graduate school but could never get excited about the subject. To me the most joy I get out of physics is doing a calculation and/or experiment and comparing the number I calculate to what was measured & seeing that it agrees. It still often seems like a miracle when this happens.

micromass, jtbell and Sheets

Thank you for your helpful replies.

Well, there are no doubt more and better treatments of the subject, but I would suggest looking into 'Relativity: The Special and the General Theory' by the man himself, Albert Einstein. It was his own attempt to explain his ideas to the lay public*. Although some knowledge of university mathematics is assumed, the material is still largely accessible and provides interesting insight into his mind. Keep in mind, however, that he is a physicist first and a writer second. He's not nearly as hard to read as Kant, but his style still falls short of what you might be accustomed to.

A great find nonetheless. Originally published in 1916, I found one in great condition at a thrift store.. paid 50 cents, if I remember correctly. 15th edition, featuring a fifth appendix on 'Relativity and the Problem of Space' which he added in 1952... three years before his death. (Not that anyone cares about the details of my copy.)

*You asked that the books not be aimed at the general public, but nonetheless I thought this might qualify due to its origin, content and the fact that it does not shy away from math.

1. What are some effective study strategies for self-studying physics?

Some effective study strategies for self-studying physics include breaking up the material into smaller, manageable chunks, using flashcards or other study aids, practicing problems regularly, and seeking help from online resources or textbooks when needed. Additionally, it can be helpful to create a study schedule and stick to it, and to review and summarize key concepts after each study session.

2. How can I stay motivated while self-studying physics?

Staying motivated while self-studying physics can be challenging, but setting specific goals and tracking your progress can help. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join an online study group to stay accountable and motivated. Additionally, taking breaks and rewarding yourself for completing study goals can help maintain motivation.

3. What are some recommended resources for self-studying physics?

There are many resources available for self-studying physics, including online lectures, textbooks, practice problems, and study guides. Some popular resources include the Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and textbooks such as "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. It may be helpful to explore different resources and find the ones that work best for your learning style.

4. How can I effectively practice and apply my knowledge while self-studying physics?

Practicing and applying your knowledge is an essential aspect of self-studying physics. One effective way to do this is by regularly working through practice problems and checking your answers. You can also try explaining concepts to someone else or teaching them to a study partner. Additionally, seeking out real-world applications of physics concepts can help solidify your understanding.

5. What are some common challenges and how can I overcome them while self-studying physics?

Some common challenges while self-studying physics include staying motivated, understanding complex concepts, and managing time effectively. To overcome these challenges, it can be helpful to break up study sessions into smaller chunks, seek help from online resources or study groups, and take breaks when needed. It is also important to have a positive mindset and to remind yourself of your goals and progress. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can be beneficial when facing difficult concepts.