Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to set up two linear actuators to share loading?

1. Mar 13, 2016 #1
    I have a structure that needs to be pushed by a set of actuators. It is because 1 actuator's loading may not be sufficient and changing it to a more powerful model will just sacrifice my space which is not favorable.
    Can anyone tell me if it is a common way of doing it? If so, how do I manage to do it? Assuming I can sync them as closely as possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2016 #2
    Hydraulic or Electric drive are you talking about? Whatever way you chose, it is common design which people use today. However, in both ways, you need to install device to make sure that all the actuators are synchronized at same speed(if not very minimum difference), such as using shaft connector(hyd & ele) or flow divider(hyd).

4. Mar 13, 2016 #3
    Hi Richard,

It would be electric drive. I just wonder if anything can be used to make sure they share load equally. They are supposed to push in the same direction.

thanks

5. Mar 13, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

More details and a drawing would help, but it sounds like you could use short/stiff springs to couple the multiple drives to the load. That will help them to share the load dynamically...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted