How to set up two linear actuators to share loading?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to push a structure using a set of actuators. The speaker is concerned about using a more powerful actuator, as it would take up more space. The group agrees that it is a common design to use either hydraulic or electric drive, but it is important to ensure that all actuators are synchronized at the same speed. The use of a device, such as a shaft connector or flow divider, can help achieve this. The speaker also suggests using short and stiff springs to evenly distribute the load among the actuators.
nomisme
I have a structure that needs to be pushed by a set of actuators. It is because 1 actuator's loading may not be sufficient and changing it to a more powerful model will just sacrifice my space which is not favorable.
Can anyone tell me if it is a common way of doing it? If so, how do I manage to do it? Assuming I can sync them as closely as possible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hydraulic or Electric drive are you talking about? Whatever way you chose, it is common design which people use today. However, in both ways, you need to install device to make sure that all the actuators are synchronized at same speed(if not very minimum difference), such as using shaft connector(hyd & ele) or flow divider(hyd).

Hi Richard,

It would be electric drive. I just wonder if anything can be used to make sure they share load equally. They are supposed to push in the same direction.

thanks

More details and a drawing would help, but it sounds like you could use short/stiff springs to couple the multiple drives to the load. That will help them to share the load dynamically...

1. How do I determine the necessary load capacity for my linear actuators?

To determine the necessary load capacity for your linear actuators, you will need to consider the weight of the load being supported and any additional forces that may act on the actuators. You can use this information to calculate the total load capacity needed for your specific application.

2. Can I connect two linear actuators in parallel to increase the load capacity?

Yes, you can connect two linear actuators in parallel to increase the load capacity. This means that both actuators will be working together to support the load, allowing for a higher overall load capacity.

3. How do I synchronize the movement of the two linear actuators?

You can synchronize the movement of the two linear actuators by using a control system that is specifically designed for this purpose. This system will ensure that both actuators move at the same speed and in the same direction.

4. Can I use different types or brands of linear actuators for this setup?

It is possible to use different types or brands of linear actuators for this setup, but it is important to ensure that they have similar load capacities and operating specifications. Otherwise, there may be issues with synchronization and overall performance.

5. Is it necessary to use a feedback system with this setup?

Using a feedback system with this setup is not necessary, but it can help to ensure precise synchronization and control of the linear actuators. This can be especially useful in applications where accuracy and precision are crucial.