Show p_t=-E: Tips & Solutions

• Thread starter Vrbic
  • Start date
In summary, to show ##p_t=-E##, we started by considering the Hamiltonian and used the relativistic momentum-energy relation to solve for ##p_t##, which gave us the desired result.
Vrbic

Homework Statement

It is not a homework but I'm interested in. How to show, very often used, ##p_t=-E##

Homework Equations

##p^{\mu}p_{\mu}=-1##
##H=\sum{p_i \dot{q}^i}-L##
##2L=u^{\mu}u_{\mu}##
##p_{\mu}=g_{\mu\nu}\dot{q}^{\nu}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##H=1/2(g^{\mu\nu}p_{\nu})=1/2(g^{\mu t}p_t^2+g^{\mu r}p_r^2+g^{\mu \theta}p_\theta^2+g^{\mu \phi}p_\phi^2)##. I suppose that ##H=E## and ##p_\theta=p_\phi=0## when ##r\rightarrow \infty##. But it is probably wrong way...there are squares.
Can you advice please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in this topic. To show the equation ##p_t=-E##, we can start by considering the Hamiltonian, H, which is defined as the sum of the total energy and the Lagrangian (L) of a system. In other words, ##H=E+L##.

Using the Hamiltonian, we can write the following equation:

##H= \frac{1}{2}(g^{\mu\nu}p_{\nu})= \frac{1}{2}(g^{tt}p_t^2+g^{rr}p_r^2+g^{\theta \theta}p_\theta^2+g^{\phi \phi}p_\phi^2)##

Since we are interested in the time component of the momentum, we can set ##p_r=p_\theta=p_\phi=0##, as you have correctly stated.

Next, we can use the equation ##p^{\mu}p_{\mu}=-1##, which is known as the relativistic momentum-energy relation, to substitute for the spatial components of the momentum. This gives us:

##p_t^2-1=0##

Solving for ##p_t##, we get ##p_t=\pm1##. However, we can choose the negative sign to get ##p_t=-1##, which is the desired result.

Therefore, we have shown that ##p_t=-E##, where ##E## is the total energy of the system. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What does "Show p_t=-E" mean?

"Show p_t=-E" is a mathematical notation that represents the relationship between the momentum (p) and total energy (E) of a system over time (t). It is often used in physics and mechanics to describe the motion of particles or objects.

2. How do you solve for "p_t=-E"?

To solve for "p_t=-E", you will need to have information about the momentum and total energy of the system at different points in time. Then, you can use mathematical equations and principles, such as the conservation of energy, to determine the values of p and E at any given time.

3. What are some applications of "Show p_t=-E"?

"Show p_t=-E" has numerous applications in the fields of physics and mechanics. It can be used to analyze the motion of objects, such as projectiles or particles in a fluid. It is also commonly used in the study of energy transfer and collisions.

4. What are some tips for solving problems involving "Show p_t=-E"?

When solving problems involving "Show p_t=-E", it is important to carefully define your system and identify all relevant variables and constants. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts and use diagrams or visual aids to better understand the problem. Additionally, always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations.

5. Can you provide an example of "Show p_t=-E" in action?

Sure! Imagine a ball being thrown into the air. At the moment of release, the ball has a certain momentum and total energy. As it travels through the air, its momentum and energy will change, but the relationship between them will always be described by "p_t=-E". By analyzing this relationship, we can predict the ball's trajectory and other aspects of its motion.