How to simulate Ground bounce on AC line

In summary, the conversation discusses simulating ground bounce for a system running on 220V AC and replicating real field conditions in a lab. The possibility of using a SPDT relay to simulate ground bounce is also mentioned. The use of SPICE and impedance measurement equipment to model the physical effects of ground bounce is suggested. The individual is also exploring the potential effects of 220VAC ground bounce on logic circuits and the role of bypass capacitors in mitigating any glitches.
likephysics
I am not talking about Digital circuit ground bounce on PCB.
How do I simulate a Ground bounce for a system that runs on 220V AC.
In real field conditions, the system might be connected to different grounds. How do i replicate this in the lab.

Can I have a SPDT relay between GND1 & GND2. I can just toggle to simulate ground bounce?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "Ground bounce on AC line". If you are trying to simulate earth potential rise, good luck. Here's what the ground potential gradient might look around a substation due to a fault.

625px-Touch_Potential.jpg

With SPICE you can define "grounds" in various parts of your circuit that are not actually SPICE ground node 0. You then can tie these remote grounds to SPICE ground via transmission lines and inductances to model the physical line effects that create ground bounce. To tie this to empirical data, you use various impedance measurement equipment such as LCR meters and VNAs to estimate the parameter values for these ground components.

jsgruszynski,
Simulation will help. But i need to do this in real.

I think I am trying to find out if the 220VAC ground bounce has any effect on the logic circuits running at 5VDC.
If it screws up the data.
Mostly likely it will result in a glitch. But i guess the bypass caps will take care of that.

Ground bounce is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a sudden change in the current flowing through the ground line, causing a voltage spike. This can be simulated in the lab by creating a setup that mimics the real-world conditions of the system.

To simulate ground bounce on an AC line, you can use a variable power supply to provide the 220V AC voltage to the system. You can also use a signal generator to create a sudden change in the current, similar to what would happen in real-world conditions. This change in current can be achieved by using a switch or a relay.

In order to replicate the different grounds that the system might be connected to in the field, you can use multiple ground connections and switch between them using a SPDT relay. This will allow you to simulate the scenario where the system is connected to different grounds.

However, it is important to note that ground bounce can also be affected by other factors such as the impedance of the ground connection and the layout of the system. Therefore, it is recommended to also consider these factors in your simulation setup to get accurate results.

In conclusion, to simulate ground bounce on an AC line, you can use a variable power supply, a signal generator, and a SPDT relay to create sudden changes in current and replicate different ground connections. However, it is important to also consider other factors that may affect ground bounce in your simulation setup.

1. What is ground bounce and how does it occur?

Ground bounce is a phenomenon that occurs in electronic circuits when the ground voltage rises above or falls below its nominal value. This can happen due to switching of digital signals, which creates a temporary current spike and causes a voltage drop on the ground plane.

2. What are the effects of ground bounce on AC lines?

Ground bounce can cause electromagnetic interference (EMI) and noise in the circuit, which can lead to signal integrity issues and affect the performance of the electronic system. It can also cause false triggering of circuits and affect the accuracy of measurements.

3. How can ground bounce be simulated on AC lines?

Ground bounce can be simulated by using circuit simulation software or by constructing a physical circuit and using a signal generator to produce switching signals. The simulation should include the parasitic elements in the circuit, such as inductance and capacitance, to accurately model the effect of ground bounce.

4. What are some techniques for reducing ground bounce on AC lines?

Some techniques for reducing ground bounce include adding decoupling capacitors to the circuit, using ground planes and minimizing the length of ground traces, using low impedance power supplies, and implementing proper PCB layout techniques.

5. How can the severity of ground bounce be measured on AC lines?

The severity of ground bounce can be measured by using an oscilloscope to observe the voltage fluctuations on the ground plane. The rise and fall times, as well as the amplitude of the ground bounce, can be measured and compared to the specifications of the electronic components to determine if it is within acceptable limits.