How to Solve a Maxima/Minima Problem for a Polynomial Function

• Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date
I was only trying to point out where you went wrong, but I don't think you were looking closely enough at what I was saying.But anyways.. I've just used Cardano's method to solve for the roots and did the question somehow.There was no need to do so. You had the right idea, but you were just doing it wrong.In summary, the student attempted to find the points of maxima and minima for the given function by finding its first and second derivatives and equating them to zero. However, there were errors in simplifying the derivatives which resulted in incorrect solutions. The student also encountered difficulty in solving for the roots of a cubic equation without the help of a calculator.
rohanprabhu

Homework Statement

For the following function, find a point of maxima and a point of minima, if these exist

[tex]
f(x) = 12x^6 - 4x^4 + 15x^3 - 1
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I first started by finding the 1st and 2nd derivatives:

[tex]
f'(x) = 72x^5 - 16x^3 + 45x^2
[/tex]

[tex]
f''(x) = 288x^3 - 48x^2 + 50x
[/tex]

On equating, f'(x) with 0,

[tex]
x^2(18x^3 - 12x + 15) = 0
[/tex]

hence, i get x = 0. But, at x = 0, f''(x) = 0, and f'''(x) = 50 i.e. the first non-zero derivative is an odd derivative i.e. the third. Hence, clearly, the point x=0 is a point of inflection.

Now, i need to solve for

[tex]
18x^3 - 12x + 15 = 0
[/tex]

I have no idea how to solve this. On using Mathematica, I am getting 3 solutions, out of which one is real:

[tex]
x = \frac{1}{3} \left(-\frac{2 2^{2/3}}{\left(45-\sqrt{1897}\right)^{1/3}}-\frac{\left(45-\sqrt{1897}\right)^{1/3}}{2^{2/3}}\right)
[/tex]

This value, upto 10 significant digits is:

[tex]
x = -1.173395267
[/tex]

And indeed, there is a minima at this point, which I am able to see when I plot the curve of the function:

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2632/maximaminimapk7.png

But, since a CAS or a calculator is not allowed on this assignment, I am just not able to understand how to tackle this problem without one. Even the value I got using Mathematica, is too complex for me to arrive at for this level of the assignment. Plus, we've not been taught the solution for cubic equations.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
rohan

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first derivative tells you where the tangent line is zero when you set it equal to zero. The tangent line is zero at x=0 (as well as an inflection point). I'm not sure why you are looking for inflection points when the question was to find maxima and minima.

Your first derivative is correct. I'm not seeing where the [tex](18x^3-12x+15)[/tex] came from.

If you carefully look at your graph, the minimum isn't at -1.17 it looks like it's about -.9

You really need to recheck your work there. Your f'(x) is correct as far as I can see, but not when you reduce it to [tex]x^2(18x^3-12x+15)[/tex]. Expand it out and you get a much different answer to your first one of f'(x).
Also, your f''(x) is wrong. [tex]72x^5[/tex] differentiated doesn't equal [tex]288x^3[/tex] Nor does [tex]45x^2[/tex] differentiated = [tex]50x[/tex].

First derivative tells you the x co-ordinates for maxima and minima (putting y'=0 and solving for x). Put these back into f(x) to find the y co-ordinates.
Second derivative tells you which ones are maxima and which are minima. eg. say you find x=1 from the first derivative. if y''<0 for x<1 and y''>0 for x>1 then at x=1 it is a minima.
2nd derivative also tells you the point(s) of inflection. Again put it to zero and solve for x.

Last edited:
Dr Zoidburg said:
You really need to recheck your work there. Your f'(x) is correct as far as I can see, but not when you reduce it to [tex]x^2(18x^3-12x+15)[/tex].

I took a '4' common as well while equating it with zero.

Dr Zoidburg said:
Also, your f''(x) is wrong. [tex]72x^5[/tex] differentiated doesn't equal [tex]288x^3[/tex] Nor does [tex]45x^2[/tex] differentiated = [tex]50x[/tex].

ahh.. yes.. i can see that error. but still that doesn't make much difference in this problem since f''(x) is still 0 at x=0.

Dr Zoidburg said:
First derivative tells you the x co-ordinates for maxima and minima (putting y'=0 and solving for x). Put these back into f(x) to find the y co-ordinates.

Not necessarily. f'(x) = 0 even at points where a curve changes it's curvature.

Dr Zoidburg said:
Second derivative tells you which ones are maxima and which are minima. eg. say you find x=1 from the first derivative. if y''<0 for x<1 and y''>0 for x>1 then at x=1 it is a minima.
2nd derivative also tells you the point(s) of inflection. Again put it to zero and solve for x.

i happen to know that and have done the same thing already. You don't seem to have understood the question I was asking.

But anyways.. I've just used Cardano's method to solve for the roots and did the question somehow.

rohanprabhu said:
I took a '4' common as well while equating it with zero.
By that I assume you mean this: [tex]72x^3-16x+45)[/tex] = [tex]4x^2(18x^3-12x+15)[/tex]
If so, expand back out. the two sides don't match up.

Not necessarily. f'(x) = 0 even at points where a curve changes it's curvature.
That would indicate a flat spot then, not a max/min point. You can find that out by checking to see if the signs on f''(x) change at that point. If they don't then it isn't a max or min or even point of inflection.

i happen to know that and have done the same thing already. You don't seem to have understood the question I was asking.
I did understand it. I just wasn't going to tell you the answer outright. This is a homework HELP forum, not a do-my-homework-for-me forum.

Related to How to Solve a Maxima/Minima Problem for a Polynomial Function

1. What is the Maxima/Minima problem?

The Maxima/Minima problem, also known as the optimization problem, is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function within a specific domain or range.

2. How is the Maxima/Minima problem solved?

The Maxima/Minima problem can be solved using calculus, specifically by finding the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. This will give the critical points, which can then be evaluated to determine the maximum or minimum value.

3. What is the difference between global and local maxima/minima?

Global maxima/minima refer to the highest or lowest value of a function over the entire domain, while local maxima/minima refer to the highest or lowest value within a specific interval or range.

4. Can the Maxima/Minima problem be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the Maxima/Minima problem has many applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum profit for a company or the minimum amount of material needed to construct a bridge.

5. Are there any limitations to solving the Maxima/Minima problem?

While the Maxima/Minima problem can be solved for many functions, there are some cases where it may not be possible to find an exact solution. Additionally, the solution may not always be the global maximum or minimum, but rather a local one.