How to Solve an Equation with Square Roots?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
magda21
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Please Help me solve it \[ \sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x+8}=8 \] thanks
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to MHB! :)

I would begin by arranging as follows:

$$\sqrt{x+8}=8-\sqrt{x}$$

I really just want to arrange it so that there isn't two radicals on the same side. Now, what do you get when you square both sides?
 
Ah, you are not squaring the RHS correctly. Let's go back to:

$$\sqrt{x+8}=8-\sqrt{x}$$

Now, recall that:

$$(a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2$$

And so, when we square both sides of our equation (bearing in mind that we must check for extraneous solutions), we get:

$$x+8=64-16\sqrt{x}+x$$

Collecting like terms, we can arrange this as:

$$16\sqrt{x}=56$$

Divide through by 8:

$$2\sqrt{x}=7$$

Can you proceed?
 
\[ \sqrt{x}=\frac{7}{2} \]
x=\frac{49}{4}
I see, thank you so much
 
Yes, and once we verifiy is works in the original equation, which it does, then we're done. :)