How to Solve Congruence Problems with Modulo Arithmetic

In summary, congruence problems can be solved using modulo arithmetic, which involves finding the remainder after dividing two numbers. This method is particularly useful in solving equations with large numbers and can also be used in cryptography and computer science. To solve a congruence problem, the given numbers are first reduced to their remainders using the modulus (or base) of the problem. Then, the congruence equation can be solved by finding the value of the unknown variable that satisfies the given congruence. This process can be repeated for multiple equations and can also be extended to solve systems of congruences.
morrowcosom
I am on the http://cow.temple.edu/~cow/cgi-bin/manager website working some congruence problems, here you can plug in answers over and over until you get them right.

Three problems still baffle me:

1) With Mod24, find the solution of 3-15-21=. Here I just pretended that none of the numbers were negative (which meant they totaled 39) and arrived at an answer of 15, which was correct.

2) With Mod25, find the solution of 3-5+13-24=. I tried the same approach of pretending that none of the numbers were negative, and got the wrong answer. I then just added with each sign as it was (to get a total of -13) and arrived at a correct solution of 12.

What is the difference between these two problems that changes the methods of solving them, or am I going about it totally wrong? The earlier addition/subtraction problems seemed straightforward.

3) With Mod 24^x, find the solution of the inverse of 17. I set the problem up as 17x=1Mod24.
As hard as I tried (I used every number from 1 to 23), I could not get an answer to work out. I just randomly plugged 9 in as the solution and it was the answer. When I went back and plugged 9 into my equation it did not match up at all. I have been successful at doing many of these inverse type problems, but I just do not understand this one. The only thing I could get to equal 9 was the number of prime numbers in 24. What am I misunderstanding?

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
In your first question, the second way you did it with mod 25 is correct. When you got right the first one by switching the signs, it was a coincidence. Note that 3-15-21 = 3-(15+21) = 3-12 (mod 24). However, add 24, and you find that 3-12 = 3+12 = 3+(15+21) (mod 24). This only worked because 15+26 = 12 (mod 24). Of course, 25 is odd, so the same coincidence couldn't happen.

For your other question, I really don't know. When you say mod 24^x, are you supposed to solve for x? And in fact 17 does have an inverse mod 24, namely itself.

On problem 1 (Mod 24 3-15-21=x) ,why did you reverse the sign on the 21 (3-(15+21)) to find your solution of 3-12Mod24?

Thanks for your help, math has always been a trouble spot for me, but I feel it is the purest form of logic, so I want to get good at it.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers. It involves studying patterns in numbers, their properties, and their interactions with each other.

2. What are congruences?

Congruences are a fundamental concept in number theory that refers to the relationship between two numbers when they have the same remainder when divided by a given number. In other words, two numbers are said to be congruent modulo n if they have the same remainder when divided by n.

3. How are congruences used in number theory?

Congruences are used to solve problems involving divisibility, primality, and other properties of numbers. They are also used in cryptography to ensure secure communication and in computer science to optimize algorithms.

4. What is the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem is a theorem in number theory that provides a way to find a number that is congruent to a given set of numbers modulo different numbers. It is commonly used in solving systems of congruences and has practical applications in cryptography and coding theory.

5. What is the significance of congruences in real-world applications?

Congruences have many real-world applications, including in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. They are also used in the design of computer algorithms and in solving problems related to divisibility, factorization, and primality. Additionally, congruences have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as group theory and algebraic number theory.