Can a 10N Force Overcome Friction to Move a 10kg Block?

• Thread starter Benjamin_harsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, a 10kg block on a horizontal floor with an acceleration due to gravity of 9.81 m/s^2 and a coefficient of static friction of 0.2 has a maximum force of friction of 19.6N (calculated using F_s^max = mu_sF_n, where F_n = 98N). The question then arises whether the horizontal force of 10N applied on the block will be enough to overcome the maximum force of friction and cause the block to move. It is important to properly use the template, with the problem statement and relevant equations clearly stated, and including units next to any numerical values unless they are dimensionless.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
How to solve this block problem?
Relevant Equations
How to solve this block problem?
A block of mass ##10kg## rests on a horizontal floor. The acceleration due to gravity
is ##9.81 m/s^{2}##. The coefficient of static friction between the floor and the block is ##0.2##.
A horizontal force of ##10N## is applied on the block as shown in the figure.
The magnitude force of friction (in N) on the block:

I can able to find ##F_{s}^{max} = 98 * 0.2 = 19.6## (##F_{n} = 9.8 * 10kg = 98##)

After this how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benjamin_harsh said:
After this how to proceed.
Consider whether the block will move.

By the way, you are not using the template properly. The description of the problem ("a block of mass ...") should appear under "problem statement " and relevant equations are such as "##F_s\leq\mu_sN##".

It's also a good idea to put the appropriate units next to any numbers that you write down unless they are dimensionless.

1. How do I approach solving a block problem?

To solve a block problem, it is important to first understand the problem and what is being asked. Then, you can break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use logical reasoning to come up with a solution. You may also want to draw diagrams or use other visual aids to help you visualize the problem.

2. What strategies can I use to solve a block problem?

Some strategies that can be helpful in solving block problems include using trial and error, working backwards, and breaking the problem down into smaller steps. You can also use patterns or look for similarities and differences between different parts of the problem.

3. How can I improve my problem solving skills for block problems?

One way to improve your problem solving skills for block problems is to practice solving various types of block problems. You can also seek help from others, such as a teacher or tutor, who can provide guidance and feedback on your problem solving strategies.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while solving a block problem?

If you get stuck while solving a block problem, take a step back and try to understand the problem from a different perspective. You can also try using a different strategy or seek help from someone else. It's important to remain patient and persistent in your problem solving approach.

5. Are there any specific techniques for solving more complex block problems?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be helpful for solving more complex block problems. These include developing a systematic approach, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and using logical reasoning and critical thinking skills. It can also be helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of block problems to improve your problem solving abilities.