Is There a Parameter a Such That f(x) Equals ax for All x?

In summary: From there, it is a matter of algebraic manipulation to show that f(kx + x) = (k + 1)f(x). This can also be proven using induction on k, but the algebraic approach is more straightforward.
transgalactic
f(x) is a continues function on (-infinity,+infinity) for which
f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)

prove that there is parameter a for which f(x)=ax for every real x

i was given a hint to solve it for x in Q

there is no much thing i can do here for which i can use theorems

the only thing i am given that its continues

lim f(x)=f(x)

??

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Prove by induction that f(nx)= nf(x) for any positive integer n and any real number x.

2. From that, taking x= 0, show that f(0)= 0.
From here on, n will represent any integer and x any real number.

3. Prove, by looking at f((n+(-n))x), that f(-nx)= -f(nx).

3. Prove, by looking at f(n(x/n)), that f(x/n)= f(x)/n.

4. Prove that, for any rational number, r, f(r)= rf(1).

5. Use the continuity of f to show that f(x)= xf(1) for any real number, x.

regarding 1:
f(kx)=kf(x) given
prove f(kx + x)=(k+1)f(x)

i don't know how to use the given
??

f(kx + x) = f(kx) + f(x) = kf(x) + f(x) = (k + 1)f(x)
The first step of the chain of equality above comes from the assumption in the original problem.

1. How do I determine the correct parameters for my proof?

The first step in solving a parameter proof is to determine what the parameters are representing in the problem. This may involve translating the problem into mathematical equations and identifying the unknowns. Once you have identified the parameters, you can begin to manipulate them to find a solution.

2. What strategies can I use to solve a parameter proof?

One strategy for solving a parameter proof is to use algebraic manipulation to isolate the parameter on one side of the equation. You can also use substitution or elimination methods to solve for the parameter. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw diagrams or use real-world examples to better understand the problem.

3. How do I know if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the values you found for the parameters back into the original problem and see if it satisfies all of the given conditions. If the solution satisfies all of the conditions, then it is likely correct. You can also double-check your work by using an online calculator or asking a colleague to review your steps.

4. Can you provide an example of a parameter proof and its solution?

Sure, here is an example: Given the equation 2x + 3 = 9, solve for x. In this case, x is the parameter we are trying to find. By subtracting 3 from both sides, we get 2x = 6. Then, by dividing both sides by 2, we find that x = 3. So, the parameter in this case is 3.

5. What should I do if I get stuck while solving a parameter proof?

If you get stuck while solving a parameter proof, take a step back and review the problem. Make sure you understand what the parameters represent and what the ultimate goal is. You can also try breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts or seeking help from a teacher or tutor. Remember to stay patient and persistent, as solving parameter proofs can take time and effort.