How Does One Find All Solutions to cos²(2x) = 0.36 in the Interval [-π, π]?

• Thread starter lo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
Can you show me your work?In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the equation cos^2(2x)=0.36 for x \in [-\pi;\pi]. The conversation includes a mistake in taking the square root of both sides, and a discussion on when to include the 2p \pi where x \in Z to get all possible solutions. The final solution involves using the inverse cosine function and adding p\pi to the solutions in order to stay within the given interval. However, it is suggested to not use the inverse cosine function and instead graph the equation to identify all the solutions.
lo2

Homework Statement

Solve this equation:

[itex]cos^2(2x)=0,36[/itex]

For [itex]x \in [-\pi;\pi][/itex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]cos^2(2x)=0,36 \Leftrightarrow cos(2x)=\sqrt{0,36} \Leftrightarrow 2x=cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36}) [/itex]

And then I am not sure exactly how to proceed... When should I put in the [itex] 2p \pi [/itex] where [itex] x \in Z [/itex], to get all of the possible solutions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lo2 said:

Homework Statement

Solve this equation:

[itex]cos^2(2x)=0,36[/itex]

For [itex]x \in [-\pi;\pi][/itex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]cos^2(2x)=0,36 \Leftrightarrow cos^2(2x)=\sqrt{0,36} \Leftrightarrow 2x=cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36}) [/itex]
Not true. cos(2x) can also be negative. In your second equation, you took the square root of the right side, but not the left side.
Also, you should simplify √(.36).

lo2 said:
And then I am not sure exactly how to proceed... When should I put in the [itex] 2p \pi [/itex] where [itex] x \in Z [/itex], to get all of the possible solutions?

Mark44 said:
Not true. cos(2x) can also be negative. In your second equation, you took the square root of the right side, but not the left side.

I corrected the mistake about not taking the square root on either side. So you mean I should put ± in front of the square root?

lo2 said:
I corrected the mistake about not taking the square root on either side. So you mean I should put ± in front of the square root?
Yes, use the ± .

lo2 said:
When should I put in the [itex] 2p \pi [/itex] where [itex] x \in Z [/itex], to get all of the possible solutions?
The domain for x is restricted to [##-\pi, \pi##], so you're going to get only a handful of solutions.

Ok I have come up with this solution:

[itex]\frac{cos^{-1}(\pm \sqrt{0,36})}{2}+p\pi[/itex]

Where the solutions are: [itex]cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36})-\pi, cos^{-1}(-\sqrt{0,36}), cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36}), cos^{-1}(-\sqrt{0,36})+\pi[/itex]

Since the solutions have to be in the interval of -pi to pi.

Mark44 said:

Why do you keep writing √(.36)? That simplifies to an exact value. What is this value?

lo2 said:
Ok I have come up with this solution:

[itex]\frac{cos^{-1}(\pm \sqrt{0,36})}{2}+p\pi[/itex]

Where the solutions are: [itex]cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36})-\pi, cos^{-1}(-\sqrt{0,36}), cos^{-1}(\sqrt{0,36}), cos^{-1}(-\sqrt{0,36})+\pi[/itex]

Since the solutions have to be in the interval of -pi to pi.

I think you would be better off by NOT using cos-1, since that will give you only one value. I would sketch a graph of y = cos(2x) on the interval [##-2\pi, 2\pi##] (since x ##\in## [##-\pi, \pi##]), and identify all of the points at which cos(2x) = ±B, where B is the simplified value of √(.36).

EDIT: Also, your work above suggests that there are four solutions. I get quite a few more than that.

Last edited:

1. How do I identify the type of trig equation I am dealing with?

In order to solve a trig equation, it is important to first identify its type. Trig equations can be classified as either linear, quadratic, or identities. A linear trig equation contains only one trigonometric function, while a quadratic trig equation contains one or more squared trigonometric functions. An identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variable. By understanding the characteristics of each type, you can determine the appropriate method for solving the equation.

2. What are the basic steps for solving a linear trig equation?

The basic steps for solving a linear trig equation are: 1) isolate the trigonometric function, 2) use inverse operations to solve for the variable, and 3) check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation. It is important to keep in mind any restrictions on the domain of the trig function, as this may affect the solution.

3. How do I use the unit circle to solve a trig equation?

The unit circle is a useful tool for solving trig equations involving angles. By understanding the values of the trigonometric functions at different points on the unit circle, you can use this knowledge to solve for the variable in the equation. Remember to use the reference angle and appropriate trigonometric ratio to find the solutions.

4. What is the difference between an exact and an approximate solution for a trig equation?

An exact solution for a trig equation is a solution that can be expressed using mathematical symbols, such as π or square roots. This solution is typically more accurate, but may be more difficult to work with. An approximate solution, on the other hand, is an estimation of the solution using decimal numbers. This solution may be easier to work with, but may not be as precise.

5. How can I check my solution for a trig equation?

To check your solution for a trig equation, simply substitute the value of the variable into the original equation and simplify. If the resulting equation is true, then your solution is correct. If the resulting equation is false, then you may have made a mistake in your calculations or the solution may not be valid for the given equation. It is always important to check your solution to ensure accuracy.