How to transfer to Software Engineering

In summary: I was also able to network quite a bit during my internship.If you want to become a software engineer, you will need to have some experience in the field. An internship is the best way to get that experience.
lkm49
I will be completing a Physics Masters degree this month. I really enjoy programming and want to become a software engineer. I am unsure of how to make the switch. Many of the jobs I have looked at require advanced programming knowledge you would get in a CS degree.

Most of my knowledge of programming is working on smaller projects with the exception of my BS computational thesis. I took several programming classes, about 2/3 the number needed to get a CS minor. However, I don't know a lot about hardware, networking, databases, etc. Most of my research was on data/algorithm analysis. I do know several languages to a basic level (Java, C++, Matlab, IDL). But I haven't worked on any really large projects. I have mostly just taught myself whatever I needed to know.

My main question is how do I compete for software engineering jobs when I am competing against people with CS degrees. I have only found a few that I meet the qualifications because of my physics background not being primarily computer science.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is so much more to SE than just programming. There's the ability to know the various software development life cycles (SDLC), good code documentation, code managing (SVN, etc), the ability to adapt to different programming environments/languages based on core fundamentals, etc.

There is just too little that you can do by yourself and call yourself a "self-taught" software engineer. It's all about teamwork and communication. But these days, we even relate "programmers" as "software engineers" and vice-versa.

You do have some background (academically/personal) in programming, which can get you an entry-level SE/programming position. It's just going to be more difficult, since you will need to build up from there. But don't expect a 70k year job as a SE if all you have is just side programming projects you did in school. My company doesn't hire college graduates unless they have SE internships or some professional experience.

As a SE, you need to know almost nothing about hardware (that's why we have IT guys around), unless you are going into a field where you need to program around hardware (ie Intel, NVIDIA); databases is most useful for web-based applications (not so much in just native desktop programming); etc.

I am sorry if I implied that CS is just programming. I know it is a lot more. I have a brother that was going into CS. There is a lot of theory and study of the science of computing, not to mention the skills needed for large projects, and making maintainable code.

Most of my experience is working on research projects during my schooling. I have also did a research thesis on making a faster algorithm for molecular dynamics. But I know this doesn't compare to a CS degree for SE jobs.

Is an internship the best way to go? I understand that transferring to SE will be a large pay cut since I will have to start over to a degree. I guess a better way to put my question is how do I get into the field so that I can learn the skills needed to be a software engineer.

If you have an opportunity to get an internship, then it's the best way to go. Software development is very hands-on and team-oriented. I managed to grab 2 internships during my Masters into large projects. It's much different to work together than alone, as I have done with side projects and programming at home.

Internships help a great deal. I've learned more in my 6 months of interning than what I did in my 5 years of college. It also builds certain skills that cannot be taught in the normal classroom.

1. What educational background do I need to have to transfer to Software Engineering?

In order to transfer to Software Engineering, it is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics, computer science, and programming. A degree in a related field such as computer science, information technology, or software engineering is also highly desirable.

2. Can I transfer to Software Engineering if I don't have a computer science degree?

Yes, it is possible to transfer to Software Engineering without a computer science degree. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of computer science concepts and programming languages. Consider taking courses or completing online tutorials to build your knowledge and skills in these areas.

3. What skills do I need to transfer to Software Engineering?

To successfully transfer to Software Engineering, you will need to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in programming languages such as Java, Python, or C++. Additionally, having good communication and teamwork skills is also important for working in a collaborative software engineering environment.

4. How long does it take to transfer to Software Engineering?

The length of time it takes to transfer to Software Engineering can vary depending on your current educational background and the specific requirements of the program you are transferring into. Typically, it can take anywhere from 2-4 years to complete a bachelor's degree in Software Engineering.

5. Are there any specific courses or certifications I should complete before transferring to Software Engineering?

While there are no specific courses or certifications required to transfer to Software Engineering, it can be beneficial to have some prior knowledge or experience in programming languages and computer science concepts. Consider taking courses or completing certifications in relevant areas to strengthen your application and prepare for the program.