How to understand the Bloch sphere in the quantum computation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spin-1/2 particles and how they can be represented on the Bloch sphere. The equation ##\left | \psi \right > =cos \frac \theta 2 \left | 0 \right > + e^{i \phi} sin \frac \theta 2 \left | 1 \right >## is mentioned, as well as the confusion about the apparent parallelism of the vectors ##\left | 0 \right >## and ##\left | 1 \right >## on the Bloch sphere. It is clarified that although these vectors are orthogonal, they are not to be confused with the orthogonality of the cartesian axes. The
Haorong Wu
I've read that ##\left | \psi \right > =cos \frac \theta 2 \left | 0 \right > + e^{i \phi} sin \frac \theta 2 \left | 1 \right >##, and the corresponding point in the Bloch sphere is as the fig below shows.

无标题.jpg

I think ##\left | 0 \right >## and ##\left | 1 \right >## are orthonormal vectors, then why they seem to apear parallel in the Bloch sphere?

Also, I can understand the ##cos \frac \theta 2 \left | 0 \right >## part, but I cannot understand how ##e^{i \phi} sin \frac \theta 2 \left | 1 \right >## part can match the fig.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a spin-1/2 particle. The two eigenvalues of ##S_z## are ##\pm \hbar/2##, which correspond to opposite points along ##z##. The fact that ##|+z\rangle## and ##|-z\rangle## are orthogonal states must not be confused with the orthogonality of the cartesian axes.

Likewise, consider that
$$
|\pm x \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( |+z \rangle \pm |-z \rangle \right) \\
|\pm y \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( |+z \rangle \pm i |-z \rangle \right)
$$
This is exactly what is transposed to the Bloch sphere.

Haorong Wu said:
I think ##\left | 0 \right >## and ##\left | 1 \right >## are orthonormal vectors, then why they seem to apear parallel in the Bloch sphere?

Spin half particles take 720 degrees to return to their original state.

Cheers

1. What is the Bloch sphere?

The Bloch sphere is a geometrical representation of the state space of a single qubit in quantum computation. It is a unit sphere where the north and south poles represent the basis states |0> and |1>, and the equator represents the superposition of these states.

2. How is the Bloch sphere used in quantum computation?

The Bloch sphere is used to visualize and understand the state of a qubit in quantum computation. It helps in understanding how quantum gates and operations affect the state of a qubit, and how measurements are performed on the qubit.

3. What is the significance of the Bloch sphere in quantum computation?

The Bloch sphere is significant because it provides a clear and intuitive way to represent and manipulate quantum states. It also helps in understanding the principles of superposition and entanglement, which are essential for quantum computation.

4. How does the Bloch sphere relate to the quantum state vector?

The quantum state vector is a mathematical representation of the state of a qubit in quantum computation. The Bloch sphere provides a visual representation of this state vector, making it easier to understand and manipulate.

5. Can the Bloch sphere be extended to represent multiple qubits?

Yes, the Bloch sphere can be extended to represent multiple qubits through the use of tensor products. This allows for the visualization and understanding of multi-qubit systems, which are essential in quantum algorithms and protocols.