What does it mean to span the Bloch sphere?

So it's not that they can reach every point through arbitrary combinations of those operations, but rather that they can use those operations to learn everything about any point in the Bloch sphere.In summary, the set of states Gk |ψ> can be used to characterize any state on the Bloch sphere through measuring the computational-basis expectation after applying each of the operators. This does not mean that every point on the Bloch sphere can be reached through arbitrary combinations of these operations.
PieroC
If I construct a set of qubit gates, say {G1, G2 ... Gk ... Gn}, that can act on a state |ψ>, what does it mean for the set of states Gk |ψ> to span the Bloch sphere?

As an example, take the set {G1, G2, G3, G4} = { I, X π/2 , Y π/2, Xπ }

Here, X π/2 denotes a π/2 rotation about the x-axis, Y π/2 denotes a π/2 rotation about the y-axis, and so on.
The set of states |ψk>= Gk |ψ>, is said to span the Bloch sphere. But I'm having trouble understanding what this really means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PieroC said:
what does it mean for the set of states Gk |ψ> to span the Bloch sphere?

It means that every state in the Bloch sphere is in the set of states ##G_k \vert \psi \rangle##.

Likes PieroC
Where did you read that those specific operations span the Bloch sphere? To me it looks like they don't, because the set of rotations you can do by combining 90 degree turns is finite and pretty small. There will be plenty of states on the Bloch sphere that you can't get arbitrarily close to.

Strilanc said:
Where did you read that those specific operations span the Bloch sphere?

This article on quantum gate set tomography https://arxiv.org/pdf/1509.02921.pdf mentions example gate sets on pg 20. The gate set I described above is the first example used. To quote the article, "it is easy to see that the set of states Fk |ρ>> spans the Bloch sphere for any pure state |ρ>>."

Strilanc said:
To me it looks like they don't
I am also not convinced.

Oh, in that paper it looks like they're using "span" to mean "we can characterize any state on the Bloch sphere by measuring the computational-basis expectation after applying each of these operators" or something similar to that.

1. What is the Bloch sphere?

The Bloch sphere is a geometric representation of the state space of a two-level quantum mechanical system, such as a qubit. It is a unit sphere where the north and south poles represent the pure states of the system, and all other points on the sphere represent mixed states.

2. What does it mean to span the Bloch sphere?

To span the Bloch sphere means to cover all possible states of a two-level quantum mechanical system. This can be achieved by varying the parameters (such as rotation angles) of the system's quantum gates.

3. Why is spanning the Bloch sphere important?

Spanning the Bloch sphere is important because it allows us to manipulate and control the state of a quantum system. By being able to access all possible states, we can perform quantum operations and measurements on the system, which is crucial for quantum computing and other quantum technologies.

4. How is spanning the Bloch sphere related to quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement, where two or more particles are connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the others, can also be represented on the Bloch sphere. Spanning the Bloch sphere allows us to explore and understand the relationship between entangled particles and how they can be used in quantum information processing.

5. Can the Bloch sphere be used to represent systems with more than two levels?

While the Bloch sphere is primarily used to represent two-level quantum systems, it can also be extended to represent higher-level systems. For example, a three-level system can be represented as a Bloch sphere with a unit sphere embedded within it. However, this representation becomes more complex as the number of levels increases, and other methods may be more suitable for visualizing these systems.