How Can I Use a Power Supply as Both a Voltage and Current Source?

In summary, the power supply can either be a voltage source or a current source, depending on how you set the current knob and the voltage knob.
fog37
Hello,
Certain power supplies can be both a voltage source or a current source.
a) Voltage source:
We set the voltage to a specific value we like and change load resistor. The current will vary (get smaller for larger R) but the voltage will not vary. To make the power supply a voltage source, I think we need to set the current knob to its maximum and the voltage knob to zero before turning to power supply on. Is that correct? Why?
b) Current source:
We set the voltage to a specific value we like and change load resistor. The current will vary (get smaller for larger R) but the voltage will not vary. To make the power supply a current source, I think we need to set the current knob to its minimum and the voltage knob to its max before turning to power supply on. Is that correct? Why?

One power supply I have seen has three terminals: positive, negative and ground. Which pair do we use when we want the power supply to be a voltage or a current source?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
a) Voltage source:
We set the voltage to a specific value we like and change load resistor. The current will vary (get smaller for larger R) but the voltage will not vary. To make the power supply a voltage source
, I think we need to set the current knob to its maximum and the voltage knob to zero before turning to power supply on. Is that correct? Why?
b) Current source:
We set the voltage to a specific value we like and change load resistor. The current will vary (get smaller for larger R) but the voltage will not vary. To make the power supply a current source,
I think we need to set the current knob to its minimum and the voltage knob to its max before turning to power supply on. Is that correct? Why?

the first part of your 2 descriptions is identical so it doesn't really tell the difference ... can you see why ?
the second parts of your comments, I would not do either of those because of the risk of damaging the device

have you actually googled the definitions of voltage and current sources ??
it mite be a good idea and then come back with any questionsDave

As Dave says, your explanations are not correct. Your Voltage Source explanation is almost correct, but it's better if you understand how the "Current Limit" feature of a Voltage Source works.

And for Current Source, you don't use a Voltage Source in Current Limit mode, usually.
fog37 said:
One power supply I have seen has three terminals: positive, negative and ground. Which pair do we use when we want the power supply to be a voltage or a current source?
A Voltage Source Power Supply with 3 terminals like that allows you to "float" the output voltage with respect to Earth Ground (the 3rd terminal). That is useful for some situations, especially if you are "stacking" several power supply outputs to make a higher voltage or some other configuration.

Actually, as Dave already said, both source are the same. If the source is strong enough and the voltage drop negligible you may consider a voltage source independent of load.
In order to supply a fix value current in a circuit the source impedance should be so large as the load impedance does not change it.
V=Z*I where Z=Zsystem+Zload and if Zsystem is -for instance- 100 times Zload you may neglect the load.
Positive, negative and neutral ? It could be a d.c. source with grounded middle way.
So you have “+” to neutral [in this case it is the “-“] half a voltage and the second part
the neutral will be the “+” terminal and the “-“ second and you’ll get the second half of voltage “+” to “-“.

The current limit adjust is there so you can protect your load against destruction by overcurrent. A big power supply can let the smoke out of an experiment that goes awry. Limiting current to less than 1/10 amp might well save an expensive or hard to find part.

Therefore you should think of it as a "Foolproofing" provision, in same spirit as a fuse . You can use it to set current as you describe but read the directions carefully, because in doing that at high current for extended time you might overheat its internal parts . Make sure to observe any precautions that are in the instruction book.

It's a foolproofing feature but not a Darn-Fool-Proofing one.

Estimate worst case power dissipated internally by (Vmax-Vout) X I max and plot with Vout on horizontal axis . That'll help you in your studies.

old jim

Last edited:

1. What is a power supply and what does it do?

A power supply is an electronic device that converts alternating current (AC) electricity from a wall outlet into direct current (DC) electricity, which is used to power various electronic devices. It regulates the voltage and current being supplied to the device, ensuring that it receives the correct amount of power to function properly.

2. How do I choose the right power supply for my device?

The first step is to determine the voltage and current requirements of your device. This information can usually be found in the device's manual or on a label. Then, choose a power supply that can provide the same voltage and meet the minimum current requirement. It is always better to choose a power supply with a higher current rating than your device requires, as this will provide a safety margin.

3. How do I connect a power supply to my device?

Most power supplies come with a set of cables and connectors. Make sure to match the polarity of the connectors (positive to positive, negative to negative) before plugging them in. If your device has a barrel connector, make sure to choose a power supply with the correct barrel size. If your device does not have a barrel connector, you may need to use a breadboard or soldering to connect the power supply to your device.

4. Can a power supply be dangerous to use?

Yes, a power supply can be dangerous if not used properly. Always make sure to carefully read the instructions and precautions provided by the manufacturer. Do not open the power supply or attempt to modify it in any way, as this can be extremely dangerous. It is also important to use a power supply with the correct voltage and current ratings to avoid damaging your device or causing a fire.

5. How can I test if my power supply is working properly?

You can use a multimeter to test the voltage and current output of your power supply. Set the multimeter to DC voltage and connect the positive and negative probes to the corresponding terminals on the power supply. The voltage should match the rating of the power supply. You can also use the multimeter to measure the current being drawn by your device, which should be within the range of the power supply's current rating.