How to use the normal form of the Green's Theorem?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the flux integral of a vector field F, which is equal to the double integral of the partial derivatives of the components of F over a unit circle. To find F, we use the given scalar potential function f and take its gradient. The gradient of f is a vector function, which can be calculated by taking the partial derivatives of f with respect to x and y. This yields the vector field F, which can then be used to solve the flux integral.
randomcat

Homework Statement

Suppose that F = ∇f for some scalar potential function f(x, y) = 1/2(x2 + y2)
Let C denote the positively oriented unit circle, parametrized by r(t) = (cos t, sin t), 0 ≤ t ≤ 2∏. Compute the flux integral of [itex]\oint[/itex]F[itex]\bullet[/itex]N ds, where N is the outward unit normal to C.

Homework Equations

I know that the theorem is basically [itex]\oint[/itex]F[itex]\bullet[/itex]N ds = double integral of ([itex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\partial N}{\partial y}[/itex]) dx dy

My question is, how do you find F(x, y)? I'm given f(x, y) in the problem, but do I need to use it to solve for the answer?

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did (which was wrong) was that I set M = 1/2x2 and N = 1/2y2 and took the partial derivatives of those. That gives me (x, y). With the parametrization, I get (cos t, sin t). Then I integrate them over the unit circle and got 0, which was wrong. The correct answer is 2pi.

My professor wrote that F = ∇f = F(x, y) in the solutions, but where did F(x, y) come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
randomcat said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that F = ∇f for some scalar potential function f(x, y) = 1/2(x2 + y2)
Let C denote the positively oriented unit circle, parametrized by r(t) = (cos t, sin t), 0 ≤ t ≤ 2∏. Compute the flux integral of [itex]\oint[/itex]F[itex]\bullet[/itex]N ds, where N is the outward unit normal to C.

Homework Equations

I know that the theorem is basically [itex]\oint[/itex]F[itex]\bullet[/itex]N ds = double integral of ([itex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\partial N}{\partial y}[/itex]) dx dy

My question is, how do you find F(x, y)? I'm given f(x, y) in the problem, but do I need to use it to solve for the answer?

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did (which was wrong) was that I set M = 1/2x2 and N = 1/2y2 and took the partial derivatives of those. That gives me (x, y). With the parametrization, I get (cos t, sin t). Then I integrate them over the unit circle and got 0, which was wrong. The correct answer is 2pi.

My professor wrote that F = ∇f = F(x, y) in the solutions, but where did F(x, y) come from?

You are given ##f=(x^2+y^2)/2## and ##F=\nabla f##. So calculate ##\nabla f## to get ##F##.

Perhaps the problem is that you don't know what [itex]\nabla f[/itex] means? If f is as function of two variables, x and y, the [itex]\nabla f[/itex] is the vector function
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/tex]

That should be easy to calculate for this f.

1. What is the normal form of Green's Theorem?

The normal form of Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve to the double integral of the divergence of the vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.

2. When is it appropriate to use the normal form of Green's Theorem?

The normal form of Green's Theorem is appropriate to use when calculating the area or work of a vector field over a closed curve in the x-y plane. It is also commonly used in the study of fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.

3. What is the formula for the normal form of Green's Theorem?

The formula for the normal form of Green's Theorem is ∫C P dx + Qdy = ∬R ( ∂Q/∂x - ∂P/∂y ) dA, where P and Q are the components of the vector field, C is the closed curve, and R is the region enclosed by the curve.

4. What are the steps for using the normal form of Green's Theorem?

The steps for using the normal form of Green's Theorem are as follows: 1) Identify the vector field P and Q, 2) Determine the direction of the curve C, 3) Determine the limits of integration for the double integral, 4) Evaluate the double integral, and 5) Substitute the values into the formula and solve for the line integral.

5. Can the normal form of Green's Theorem be applied to three-dimensional spaces?

No, the normal form of Green's Theorem can only be applied to two-dimensional spaces. For three-dimensional spaces, you would need to use the generalized version of Green's Theorem, also known as the Stokes' Theorem.