How useful would a CS minor be?

• Programs
  • Thread starter stgermaine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Minor
In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of a math major choosing a concentration between CS and stats. The person has already taken programming courses and noticed that upper-level CS courses focus more on machine learning and algorithms rather than programming. They question the usefulness of taking these courses if they do not plan on going into the computer industry and consider choosing a different concentration due to a scheduling issue. The other person, a statistician with a strong background in CS, suggests that CS courses can be useful for working with large amounts of data and mentions specific areas such as databases and data mining. They also mention the potential benefits of studying machine learning and algorithms, regardless of one's career plans.
stgermaine
Hi. I'm currently a math major and I need to choose a concentration (CS or stats).
I've already taken MATLAB and currently taking C++. I've noticed that upper-level courses are not about programming but are about machine learning, algorithms, cryptography, etc.

I think I am capable at programming, but would taking upper level CS courses help me if I don't go into the computer industry? It seems like stats is more applicable across more industries than CS.

However, right now my courses got mixed up and I might not be able to take this course that's the prerequisite for all my stats courses, so I might have to choose a different concentration in order to graduate on time.

Anyway, would a CS minor be useful if I don't exactly plan on going into engineering/cs?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends. I'm actually a Stat person who focused a lot on computer science. There are some classes that I would advise anyone who is going to work with large number of data to take that tend to fall under computer science. Anything regarding databases and data mining. Anything related to numerical analysis. Having these skills in your toolbox I think you would fine to be rather useful if you plan to play with large data for a career.

If you're on the more abstract side and want to do a cs minor to fulfill a graduation requirement. Machine learning and algorithms I think would be generally beneficial too. In fact, you may even find that if you end up studying machine language that the amount of functional analysis can make it a rather interesting topic!

1. How does having a CS minor benefit my career?

Having a CS minor can benefit your career in several ways. It can demonstrate to potential employers that you have a strong foundation in computer science concepts and skills, even if your major is in a different field. It can also open up job opportunities in the tech industry, which is constantly growing and in need of professionals with coding and programming skills.

2. Is a CS minor worth the extra time and effort?

The answer to this question depends on your individual career goals and interests. If you are considering a career in a field that requires knowledge of computer science, such as data analysis or software development, then a CS minor would be worth the time and effort. However, if your career goals do not necessarily involve computer science, then a minor may not be necessary.

3. Will a CS minor make me more marketable to employers?

Having a CS minor can make you more marketable to employers, especially in industries that heavily rely on technology. It can also make you stand out among other candidates who may not have any formal education or training in computer science. However, it is important to also gain practical experience and build a strong portfolio to further enhance your marketability.

4. Can I still pursue a CS minor if I have no prior programming experience?

Yes, you can still pursue a CS minor even if you have no prior programming experience. Many CS minor programs are designed for students with no prior knowledge in computer science. However, you may need to put in extra effort and time to catch up with your peers who may have some background in programming.

5. How can a CS minor complement my major?

A CS minor can complement your major by providing you with valuable skills that can be applied in various fields. For example, if your major is in business, a CS minor can give you the technical skills needed to analyze and interpret data, which is becoming increasingly important in the business world. A CS minor can also enhance your problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are beneficial in any field.