How would I calculate water pressure in a vertical column?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 106K views
I used to pay 1/3 (one and threepence) for some truly disgusting Mild in Truro. But then my Dad was only earning about £1500 a year at the time and the coppers wouldn't bash you over the head if you got out of hand. Not too bad, in all. But no internet forums either!
Yer Uncle and Grandad would give you half a crown and it would totally make your day!
Yes - £3 plus, in many places but better than Watneys Red Barrel at 2/6 a pint.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
2/6 a pint.
I guess that was the times I met esterling system - in very last its years (I visited England in 1970, I was 15 then, but those times nobody asked for ID if teenager ordered a beer in a pub) - half crown a pint...
I really appreciate monetary systems which not only are not decimal, but have special coin for 2/6...
 
Way off topic and now we are two old farts reminiscing. But the half crown was, I agree, the pinnacle of the LSD system.
 
Hi,

Yes Toymkr is right.
'arildno' is cryptic and confusing in his/her answer deliberately pedantic and arrogant.

The water pressure is caused by water molecules pushing down due to gravity.
It doesn't matter about the water molecules next to me. Only the ones above me.

So It doesn't matter how wide the tank is.

Only the height of the water causes the pressure.

The pressure can be measured in weight per square inch (eg PSI)
Then the pressure is the weight of a square inch column of the water.
Square Inch x Height = pounds.

(But as this is no longer the 1800's we use millimetres and kilograms :))
 
welcome to PF, penguingenius

you should google "necropost"

also, arildno is not such a bad sort.
 
As a matter of style and politeness and adherence to the Physics Forums global guidelines, one should avoid criticising posters and only criticize postings. Verbiage such as "deliberately pedantic and arrogant" may be straying over that line.
 
If you want to hit someone hard "you clearly don't understand' is polite but to the point. I think the mods do quite well with the more objectionable visitors, in fact. They don't seem to hang around long - or oerhaps they come back in another, more polite guise.