How would you Calculate the Energy in an EM field?

In summary, calculating the energy in an electromagnetic field produced by a particle such as an electron involves squaring it and integrating over all space. This can result in an infinite energy, but as the distance from the charge increases, the energy decreases and becomes infinitely small. The concept of the inverse square law is important in understanding this phenomenon. Additionally, while the self energy of a classical point charge may be infinite, it does not radiate energy.
Ryan Reed
How would you calculate the energy in an electromagnetic field produced by a particle such as an electron?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd square it. Energy density is E2 times a constant depending on your units. Then integrate over all space. Of course you get infinity.

But as it goes out, the energy would get smaller and smaller, getting to the point where even though it's infinite, the energy would be so much smaller the farther you go away, it couldn't reach the next decimal place. Think about it like this, a circle with certain dimensions will have a definite volume, even though numbers are infinitely dividable and if you add the radius each time you change the angle until you get to 360 degrees, it will be infinity since 360 can be divided infinitely, but this doesn't happen.

Ryan Reed said:
But as it goes out, the energy would get smaller and smaller, getting to the point where even though it's infinite, the energy would be so much smaller the farther you go away,

have you heard of the inverse square law ?
do a google search and have a read :smile:

I don't know what to say. Integrals take care of this. That's why we use them,

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't know what to say. Integrals take care of this. That's why we use them,
What I mean by this is the answer should be something like pi, infinitely long, not infinitely large. Pi is infinitely long, but will never go above 3.14

I know that's what you meant. This whole conversation has an Alice-In-Wonderland aspect, with you - who doesn't know how to do the integral - telling me - who does - that he is wrong, based on your feelings. That's why I don't know what to say.

Likes Dale
Ryan Reed said:
But as it goes out, the energy would get smaller and smaller, getting to the point where even though it's infinite, the energy would be so much smaller the farther you go away,

Try going in the other direction, closer and closer to the charge. If the charge is a mathematical point with zero size, what happens?

Ryan Reed said:
But as it goes out,
What do you mean "as it goes out"? The E field of a charge does not radiate energy, it stores energy. The energy that is there does not go anywhere without a B field also.

As was pointed out earlier, the self energy of a classical point charge is infinite, but it does not radiate.

Last edited:

1. How do you measure the energy in an EM field?

The energy in an EM field can be measured using a device called a power meter. This device measures the power, or rate of energy transfer, of the EM field.

2. Can you calculate the energy in an EM field using its equations?

Yes, the energy in an EM field can be calculated using the equations for electric and magnetic fields. These equations include variables such as electric and magnetic field strengths, distance, and permittivity and permeability of the medium.

3. Is the energy in an EM field constant?

No, the energy in an EM field is not constant. It is constantly being transferred and transformed between electric and magnetic fields as the wave propagates through space.

4. How is the energy in an EM field related to the frequency of the wave?

The energy in an EM field is directly proportional to the frequency of the wave. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the energy in the EM field.

5. Can the energy in an EM field be negative?

No, the energy in an EM field cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the amount of energy being transferred by the wave.