How Does Height Affect the Impact of Falling Objects?

In summary, an object dropped from a short distance (e.g. 5cm) has less of an impact than the same object dropped from a height of 5m. The object which is dropped from a greater height will be travelling faster when it hits the ground.
motleycat
An object falling from a short distance (e.g. 5cm) has less of an impact than the same object falling from a height of 5m.

Physics news on Phys.org
The object which is dropped from a greater height will be traveling faster when it hits the ground.
It carries a greater amount of energy as momentum.
When it impacts the ground and stops there is more energy which has to be released.
Some of the energy will be released as heat, some will be released as a shock wave in the ground material, which could cause destructive/distorting effects in the material.

Last edited:
rootone said:
The object which is dropped from a greater height will be traveling faster when it hits the ground.
But why is it traveling faster?

No, I am in a physics course for social science students. They keep it very simple.

motleycat said:
But why is it traveling faster?
It takes longer to fall from a greater height because there's more distance to cover before the falling object hits the ground. That gives gravity more time to accelerate the falling object.

(no matter how simple they're keeping things, I hope they're giving you the relationship between time, speed, and acceleration: ##v=at##, which says speed equals acceleration times time).

The longer you accelerate in your car the faster you go.

Gravity on Earth will accelerate all objects at 9.807 meters per second, for every second that the object falls, until that object reaches terminal velocity (the air friction balances with the gravitational acceleration).

So, for instance, a penny dropped from 9.807 meters with a starting velocity of 0 m/s will fall for exactly one second and will be traveling at 9.807 m/s (21.9 MPH) when it hits the ground. A penny dropped from 19.613 meters with a starting velocity of 0 m/s will fall for exactly two seconds, and will be traveling at 19.613 m/s (43.8 MPH) when it hits the ground. A penny dropped from 29.419 meters with a starting velocity of 0 m/s will fall for exactly three seconds and will be traveling 29.419 m/s (65.8 MPH) when it hits the ground.

Thus, an object falling from a greater height will have more time to accelerate (unless it's moving faster to begin with... for instance, a penny dropped from 10 meters with a starting velocity of 0 m/s vs. a penny dropped from 11 meters with a starting velocity of of 22 m/s... the second penny would have less time to accelerate in that case).

Because the object falling from a greater height has more time to accelerate, it's moving faster than if it were dropped from a lesser height, so it's got more kinetic energy.

Basically, for every second an object falls, you can add ~22 MPH to its speed until it reaches terminal velocity.

Last edited:
motleycat said:
No, I am in a physics course for social science students. They keep it very simple.

But I'm sure even without having to study it, you must have some idea what an "acceleration" means! It is not as if this is a new or an unusual concept, is it?

Zz.

I am wondering why physics is even relevant to social science, other than recognising a smile if you you are lucky enough to see one.

ScooterGuy said:
So, for instance, a penny dropped from 9.807 meters with a starting velocity of 0 m/s will fall for exactly one second and will be traveling at 9.807 m/s (21.9 MPH) when it hits the ground. A penny dropped from 19.613 meters with a starting velocity of 0 m/s will fall for exactly two seconds, and will be traveling at 19.613 m/s (43.8 MPH) when it hits the ground. A penny dropped from 29.419 meters with a starting velocity of 0 m/s will fall for exactly three seconds and will be traveling 29.419 m/s (65.8 MPH) when it hits the ground.
If the object falls for t seconds, the velocity will be gt when it hits the ground, with g = 9.807 m/s^2, but the vertical distance covered is (1/2)gt^2. (the falling time multiplied by the average velocity).
So to make the object fall for 1.2 and 3 seconds, the initial heights should be 4.903, 19.614 and 44.131 metres.

Likes nasu

Related to How Does Height Affect the Impact of Falling Objects?

1. How would you explain this concept in simple terms?

As a scientist, it is important to be able to communicate complex concepts in a way that is easy for everyone to understand. To explain something in simple terms, I would break down the concept into smaller parts and use everyday examples or analogies to make it relatable.

2. Can you provide a visual representation to better understand this concept?

Visual aids such as diagrams, charts, and graphs can be very helpful in explaining scientific concepts. I would use these tools to illustrate the concept and make it easier to understand and remember.

3. Why is this concept important in the scientific field?

Understanding the importance of a concept is crucial in the scientific field. I would explain how this concept contributes to our understanding of a larger topic or how it can be applied in practical situations.

4. Can you provide real-life examples of this concept?

Using real-life examples can make a concept more relatable and easier to understand. I would provide examples from nature or everyday life to show how this concept is present and relevant in our world.

5. How does this concept relate to other scientific theories or principles?

In science, many concepts are interconnected and build upon each other. I would explain how this concept is related to other known theories or principles, and how it fits into the larger scientific picture.