Hurricane Evacuation, how l long will it take to evacuate100 000 people?

• Thread starter chrisman10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hurricane
In summary, the conversation discusses the logistics of evacuating 100,000 residents from the Keys via a single two-lane road during an emergency. Past data suggests that cars typically hold three people, move at a speed of 8 km/hour, and maintain a spacing of 10 meters. It is estimated that it would take approximately two days to evacuate everyone, but it is advised to leave earlier to ensure safety. The question of whether it would make a difference in time if all cars enter the one open lane at one location or multiple locations along the road is also raised.
chrisman10

Homework Statement

There is a single two ane road connecting the Keys with the mainland. The south-
bound lane must remain open for emergency vehicles, so only one lane is available for
evacuation. In summer, 100,000 residents live on the Keys. Past data taken on the
bridge that connects the Keys to the mainland suggest that cars, during emergencies,
typically hold three people, move no faster than 8 km/hour, and maintain a spacing of
about 10 metres (one car length of 9.2 metres plus 0.8 metres).
(b) How long will it take to evacuate completely these people from the Keys?

(c) In your answer to (b), does it make any difference if all cars leaving the Keys enter
the one open lane of the two-lane road at one single location or if the cars leaving
the Keys enter the one open lane of the two-lane road at multiple locations along
the road? Explain. [Hint: think of the same situation on Highway 401 during
Toronto's rush hour.]

(d) You have to issue the evacuation order in time for a complete and safe evacuation.
If the hurricane, approaching Key West from the southwest, follows a straight path,
where would it be located geographically at the time you issue the evacuation order

Homework Equations

No equation were given.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there are 100 000 thousands people, and 3 people per car, it comes out to 33333 cars because 100000/3= 33333

0.8 meters distances between cars, makes 0.8 x 33333 = 80 000
80 000 / 1000

I'm having trouble figuring out how long the distance is the cars have to travel.

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
Take some location on the bridge. How many cars go through it per second?

I get a little less than two days. But we need to understand that this is an academic exercise only with little relationship to reality. I've done many hurricane evacuations. The only way to make sure you get out safely is to leave about two days before the official order. That is when the real evacuation starts.

Pkruse can you please help me understand how you came up with two days?

voko said:
Take some location on the bridge. How many cars go through it per second?

How will I do that?

How far can one car go in one hour? If that was the last car to pass you in one hour, how far was it from from you when that hour started? How many cars were between you and it when that hour started? So how many cars passed you in that hour? How many cars passed you in one minute? How many in one second?

chrisman10 said:
How will I do that?

For one car to go through a location on the bridge, its entire "cell" (10 m) must pass through it.

Chrisman: I base what I say on five decades of living with hurricanes in Florida. I stay put for most of them, even when ordered to evacuate. My house has survived all of them in the last 40 years, always with little or no wind damage. So I look more at the storm surge forecast. If it is high enough to maybe flood me, then I leave. Leaving when told once resulted in me being dead stopped in traffic as the hurricane blew over the top of me. It is very dangerous to depend on the government for my safety. Leaving before the official order works much better.

The numbers in this problem are too optimistic to trust in a real evacuation. Something will happen to completely stop the traffic as the hurricane gets closer. You need to be gone by then.

Last edited:
As for how I worked your problem, that was quick and easy because the numbers selected eliminated the need for a calculator. Speed works out to 8000 m per hr. If each car needs 10 m of space, then that is 800 cars per hr. Can you take it from there?

Pkruse said:
As for how I worked your problem, that was quick and easy because the numbers selected eliminated the need for a calculator. Speed works out to 8000 m per hr. If each car needs 10 m of space, then that is 800 cars per hr. Can you take it from there?

I get 41.66 hours to evacuate. 33333/800 = 41.66H

Pkruse said:
Chrisman: I base what I say on five decades of living with hurricanes in Florida. I stay put for most of them, even when ordered to evacuate. My house has survived all of them in the last 40 years, always with little or no wind damage. So I look more at the storm surge forecast. If it is high enough to maybe flood me, then I leave. Leaving when told once resulted in me being dead stopped in traffic as the hurricane blew over the top of me. It is very dangerous to depend on the government for my safety. Leaving before the official order works much better.

The numbers in this problem are too optimistic to trust in a real evacuation. Something will happen to completely stop the traffic as the hurricane gets closer. You need to be gone by then.

Pkruse, do you think it would make a difference on the time for each car if we had a two way lane.

[In your answer to (b), does it make any difference if all cars leaving the Keys enter
the one open lane of the two-lane road at one single location or if the cars leaving
the Keys enter the one open lane of the two-lane road at multiple locations along
the road? Explain

Pkruse said:

Pkruse, do you think it would make a difference on the time for each car if we had a two way lane.

[In your answer to (b), does it make any difference if all cars leaving the Keys enter
the road? Explain

Sorry for the double post :( accident

That would have two advantages that are commonly observed in places where they do that. Under nominal conditions, it doubles the flow rate. But even more important traffic continues to flow when one lane is blocked by an accident or breakdown, or more likely you can expect people to start running out of gas because the gas stations are often either shut down or the increased demand has emptied their storage tanks. Part of my evacuation supplies includes 30 gallons of gas so both cars can start with a full tank.

Thanks a lot for your help and knowledge. One last thing, could confirm my answer? 41.67 hours.

That's what I got.

A simple way to see this: with cars moving at 8 km/hr and separated (front bumper to front bumper) by 10 meters, that's 800 cars leaving every hour, or 2400 people per hour given that cars have three passengers. Diving those 100,000 people to be evacuated by that 2400 people/hour yields 41.67 hours to complete the evacuation.

1. How is the decision made to evacuate during a hurricane?

The decision to evacuate during a hurricane is typically made by local government officials and emergency management teams. They take into account factors such as the storm's projected path and intensity, the potential impact on the area, and the capacity of evacuation routes and shelters.

2. How long does it take to evacuate 100,000 people during a hurricane?

The time it takes to evacuate 100,000 people during a hurricane can vary depending on several factors. This includes the location and size of the area being evacuated, the number of available evacuation routes, the efficiency of transportation methods, and the readiness of the population to evacuate. Generally, it can take anywhere from several hours to a full day to evacuate a large number of people.

3. What is the role of emergency shelters during a hurricane evacuation?

Emergency shelters are designated locations where people can seek temporary refuge during a hurricane evacuation. They are often set up in schools, community centers, or other large buildings and are equipped with basic necessities such as food, water, and bedding. Shelters provide a safe place for people to wait out the storm until it is safe to return home.

4. How do people know when it is safe to return home after a hurricane evacuation?

The decision to return home after a hurricane evacuation is typically made by local government officials and emergency management teams. They assess the damage and safety of the area before giving the all-clear for residents to return. It is important to follow their instructions and not return home until it is deemed safe to do so.

5. What should people do if they are unable to evacuate during a hurricane?

If someone is unable to evacuate during a hurricane, they should seek shelter in a sturdy, secure building and stay away from windows and doors. They should also have a disaster supply kit with essential items such as non-perishable food, water, flashlights, and a first-aid kit. It is important to stay informed and follow any instructions or evacuation orders given by local authorities.