Energy Released by Hydrocarbon Reactions

In summary,1. According to Wikipedia, the heat of combustion for 1 kg of methane is 2.75 kg of CO2, while for 1 kg of octane it is 3.09 kg of CO2.2. Methane is considered cleaner than gasoline because 1 kg of CH4 produces more energy than 1 kg of octane.3. If we focus on lower pollution, then C is the correct answer.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
First of all, I'd like to thanks PF Forum for giving me invaluable answers all this time.
Now, I have a "situation" here.
My church wants to conserve environment by changing cooking oil into biodiesel from its parishioners
I'd like to know how effective this effort is.
I have many, many questions regarding biodiesel, car gasoline, hydrocarbon, etc...
But in this post, I'd like to know these simple facts first.
1. How much energy is released by reactiing 2 moles CH4 + 5 moles O2 -> 2 moles CO2 + 8 moles H2O. How many joules (or calories equivalent) are released in this process?
2. How many joules/calories are released by this reaction? 2C8H18 + 25O2 -> 16CO2 + 18H2O. All are in moles unit and given the ideal condition where carbon monoxyde are not produced.
3. Is it true that CH4 is considered "cleaner" than C8H18?
4. If that so, why?
Is it because for ...
4A. 1824 gr CH4 produces 5016 gr CO2 and 1824 gr C8H18 produces 5632 gr CO2?
4B. Given that I don't know the answers of question 1 and 2.
That for 1824 gr CH4 produces more (is it true more?) energies than 1824gr C8H18?
4C. Still that I don't know the answers of question 1 and 2:
That for every kg CO2 produced, CH4 releases more (is it true, more?) energies than C8H18?
These questions might not have anything to do with biodiesel. But I'd like to study some basic chemistry first.
Thanks for any help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Bystander said:
Wow, that was fast! Thanks Bystander.
It's not I haven't googled. I have visited many links, but none gave specific answer like the link you give me.
Let me see if I understand this reaction correctly.
As stated in Wiki, the heat combustion of 1 Kg octane is 44 MJ. So 1 mole C8H18 + n O2 -> ... will produce 114 gr * 44 MJ = 5.015 MJ?

Stephanus said:
(114 gr /1kg)* 44 MJ = 5.015 MJ?
..., given that your calculator is working properly.

Likes Stephanus
Bystander said:
..., given that your calculator is working properly.
And it's about 5.06478 MJ per moles. I forgot to include 44.427 MJ/Kg. I type 44 MJ/Kg. Okay, thanks I'm convinced that I'm on the right track.
So about CH4 issue.
The heat combustion for
1 kg CH4 is 50.009 MJ
1 kg C8H18 is 44.27 MJ.
Consequently
1 kg methane will produce 2.75 kg CO2
1 kg octane will produce 3.09 kg CO2

Why is methane considered cleaner than gasoline which has higher octane ratio in it?
Is it because
A. 1 kg CH4 produces higher energy than 1 kg octane?
B. 1 kg methane produces lower CO2 than 1 kg octane?
C. Methane produces 18.185 MJ per 1 kg CO2 released, while Octane produces 14.388 MJ per 1 kg CO2 released? After doing the calculation.
I think the answer is C if we focus on lower pollution.
Is my opinion correct?

Stephanus said:
I think the answer is C
That's the basis for the assertion.

Likes Stephanus
Bystander said:
That's the basis for the assertion.
Thanks. Now, I can focus on biodiesel after some online researches.

What is the definition of "Energy Released by Hydrocarbon Reactions"?

The energy released by hydrocarbon reactions refers to the amount of energy that is released when hydrocarbon molecules (such as those found in fossil fuels) are broken down into simpler molecules through a chemical reaction. This energy can be harnessed and used for various purposes, such as powering engines or generating electricity.

How is energy released by hydrocarbon reactions measured?

The energy released by hydrocarbon reactions is typically measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ). This measurement is often calculated using calorimetry, which involves measuring the heat released during a reaction.

What factors can affect the amount of energy released by hydrocarbon reactions?

The amount of energy released by hydrocarbon reactions can be affected by several factors, including the type and amount of hydrocarbon molecules involved, the presence of catalysts or inhibitors, and the temperature and pressure of the reaction environment.

What are some common examples of hydrocarbon reactions that release energy?

One of the most well-known examples of a hydrocarbon reaction that releases energy is the combustion of fossil fuels, such as gasoline or diesel, in an engine. Other examples include the burning of natural gas for heating and the reaction of methane with oxygen to produce heat and steam in power plants.

How is the energy released by hydrocarbon reactions used in everyday life?

The energy released by hydrocarbon reactions is used in a variety of ways in everyday life. It powers our cars, heats our homes, and generates electricity for our devices. It is also used in industrial processes, such as manufacturing and chemical production, to power machinery and equipment.