Hydrodynamics- rotational movement.

In summary, hydrodynamics is the study of fluid motion while rotational movement is the circular motion of fluids around a central axis. Rotational movement is an important aspect of hydrodynamics and can be seen in real-life examples such as whirlpools and cyclones. The speed, direction, shape, and size of the fluid and object all impact rotational movement in hydrodynamics. It can be calculated and measured using equations and physical measurements like angular velocity and moment of inertia.
bondmmo
Hydrodynamics--- rotational movement.

Hi,I am not sure whether my solution is correct. I am not an expert in this area either. Could anyone here help me to check my solution? Thank you

If i hang a block like a cube in water. If we look from the top view, there will be two side A and two side B, see the attached file . The object will be rotated only when current,drag forces, act on the side B. (Suppose the left and right side of side B area are not totally symmetrical and the moment can rotate the cube with very low speed because of small different area in Side B. Also, no moment can cause from side A)

When the object rotates, the force and moment will reduce. This results in non-constant angular acceleration, which I am not sure how to solve it. I calculated angular acceleration using Fxr=I[tex]\alpha[/tex].
However, I have done calculation in excel file using X-axis as [tex]\theta[/tex]degree of rotation and Y-axis is force and moment. I tried to plot angular acceleration, velocity and time vs. the rotational degree. I set [tex]\theta[/tex] from 0 to 90 degree, with increase of 5 degrees.

Can i assume to use simply equation of motion to find them? are these following equations used for only a constant acceleration?

1. Can I useFxr=I[tex]\alpha[/tex] to find angular acceleration?
2. [tex]\omega[/tex]^2=[tex]\omega[/tex] o ^2+ 2 [tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] to find velocity?
3. [tex]\theta[/tex] =[tex]\theta[/tex]o + [tex]\omega[/tex]*t+ 0.5 *[tex]\alpha[/tex]*t^2 . Can I solve this equation to find time when the object rotates from 0 to 90 degree?

Attachments

• Microsoft PowerPoint - eq1 [Compatibility Mode].pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 194
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

As a scientist specializing in hydrodynamics, I can help you with your solution. First of all, your approach seems correct. When an object is submerged in water, the drag forces acting on the object will cause it to rotate. And as you mentioned, the rotation will be caused by a difference in the drag forces acting on the two sides of the object (side A and side B).

To solve for the angular acceleration, you can use the equation Fxr=I\alpha, as you have mentioned. However, since the drag forces acting on the object will vary with the rotation, the angular acceleration will also not be constant. This means that you cannot use a simple equation of motion to find the angular acceleration, velocity, and time.

Instead, you will need to use numerical methods to solve for these values. This involves breaking down the rotation into small time intervals and calculating the forces and moments acting on the object at each interval. Then, using the equation Fxr=I\alpha, you can find the angular acceleration at each interval. This process can be repeated to find the angular velocity and time at each interval.

In summary, while your approach is correct, you will need to use numerical methods to solve for the non-constant angular acceleration, velocity, and time. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is hydrodynamics and what is rotational movement?

Hydrodynamics is the study of the motion of fluids, including liquids and gases. Rotational movement refers to the circular motion of a fluid around a central axis.

2. How is rotational movement related to hydrodynamics?

Rotational movement is an important aspect of hydrodynamics, as it describes the circular motion of fluids and how it affects the overall flow and behavior of the fluid.

3. What are some real-life examples of rotational movement in hydrodynamics?

Some examples of rotational movement in hydrodynamics include whirlpools, cyclones, and the movement of water in a washing machine or blender.

4. What factors affect rotational movement in hydrodynamics?

The speed and direction of the fluid, as well as the shape and size of the object causing the rotation, can all affect rotational movement in hydrodynamics.

5. How is rotational movement calculated and measured in hydrodynamics?

Rotational movement in hydrodynamics can be calculated and measured using mathematical equations and physical measurements such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and moment of inertia.