Hydrogen in equal superposition state

So, in summary, the problem involves finding the functional form for a hydrogen atom in equal superposition of 1s, 2s, and 2p states. This can be done by writing the sums of the Spherical Harmonics with the Radial functions for the state, each with a 3 to the power of -1/2 in front. The expectation value of energy can be found by taking the average of the energies of the states. To determine the most probable value of the L^2 operator, we must first find the most common quantum number l and then use that in the operator to find the corresponding eigenvalue. This problem may seem daunting at first, but breaking it down into smaller steps can make it easier to
PatPwnt
The problem: Suppose we know that a hydrogen atom is in equal superposition of 1s, 2s, and 2p states.
a) Write down the complete functional form for this state.
b) What is the expectation value of energy in this state?
c) What is the most probable value of L^2 operator?

I don't want the answer to the problem, but just a hint on where to start.

My ideas:
a) For part a, would I just right down the sums of the Spherical Harmonics with the Radial functions for the state, each with a 3 to the power of -1/2 in front?
b) For the expectation value of energy, would I just take the average of the three states?
c) For the L^2 operator, would I find out which quantum number l appears most then use that in the operator?

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Sounds right to me
b) What do you mean average of the states? If you mean the average of the energies of the states, that sounds right to me too.
c)Find the most common l, and then find the eigenvalue that state corresponds with.

Thanks for the reply. I figured this problem was easier than it looked at first.

1. What is a hydrogen equal superposition state?

A hydrogen equal superposition state is a quantum state in which a hydrogen atom is in a combination of two or more energy states simultaneously. This is known as a superposition because the atom exists in multiple states at once, rather than being confined to a single state.

2. How is a hydrogen equal superposition state created?

A hydrogen equal superposition state can be created through a process called quantum superposition. This involves manipulating the energy levels of the atom through the use of lasers or magnetic fields, allowing the atom to exist in multiple states at once.

3. What are the properties of a hydrogen equal superposition state?

The properties of a hydrogen equal superposition state include the ability to exist in multiple energy levels simultaneously, as well as the ability to exhibit interference patterns when measured. It is also highly sensitive to external influences, making it useful for certain types of quantum computing tasks.

4. Why is the hydrogen equal superposition state important in quantum mechanics?

The hydrogen equal superposition state is important in quantum mechanics because it is a fundamental example of the principles of superposition and quantum entanglement. It also has practical applications in quantum computing, as well as providing insight into the behavior of atoms and molecules at the quantum level.

5. How is the hydrogen equal superposition state used in technology?

The hydrogen equal superposition state has potential applications in quantum computing, as well as in precision measurements and sensing. It is also being studied for use in quantum cryptography and secure communication systems. However, more research is needed to fully harness its potential in technology.