What Happens When I Light a Match in Hydrogen-Filled Room?

In summary, if you were to light a match in an air-tight room completely filled with hydrogen and no oxidizer present, very little would happen. This is because matches require an oxidizer, such as oxygen, to ignite. However, in a vacuum, the match could still briefly flare before quickly going out due to the lack of oxygen. Other reactions, such as hydrogen reducing carbon dioxide, may be possible under the right conditions, but the energetics for this reaction are unknown.
datatec
What would happen if I lit a match in an air-tight room completely filled with hydrogen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing...

With no oxidizer present, very little would happen.

- Warren

would the match even light if there was no oxygen in the room?

ExtravagantDreams said:
would the match even light if there was no oxygen in the room?

yes
when I was 8 years old the 7 year old next door to us down the street
performed an experiment with wooden strike-anywhere "kitchen matches"
that demonstrated this, which was not a good thing

all the matches I know of have the oxidizer mixed in
like in gunpowder there is KNO3 which will not burn but
which will supply oxygen to charcoal powder so that the charcoal will burn
that is roughlyspeaking why you mix KNO3 with charcoal (and sulphur)
to make black gunpowder

you don't have to have air in order to have an oxidation reaction
matches would strike in a vacuum, and flare briefly but quickly go out

Last edited:
The explosive region of the hydrogen-oxygen mixture diagram is between about 10% and 90% oxygen - if I recall correctly. With less or more oxygen than that you don't get an explosion.

You could get some oxygen from outgassing from the match (matchbook) or your breathing apparatus, but it probably won't be enough to ignite the hydrogen.

I'm not sure if other reactions are possible, though. For instance, under the right conditions, hydrogen will reduce carbon dioxide to carbon monoxide (or even plain carbon ?) and water vapor. I'm not sure of the energetics for that reaction.

1. What is the reaction that occurs when a match is lit in a hydrogen-filled room?

When a match is lit in a hydrogen-filled room, the hydrogen gas will react with the oxygen in the air, producing water vapor. This reaction is highly exothermic, meaning it releases a significant amount of heat and light.

2. Is it dangerous to light a match in a hydrogen-filled room?

Yes, it can be very dangerous to light a match in a hydrogen-filled room. Hydrogen gas is highly flammable and can ignite easily when exposed to a heat source, such as a lit match. This can result in a fire or explosion.

3. How does the reaction between hydrogen and oxygen produce water?

The reaction between hydrogen and oxygen produces water through a process called combustion. During this process, the hydrogen and oxygen atoms combine to form water molecules (H2O) and release energy in the form of heat and light.

4. Why does a hydrogen-filled room make the flame on the match appear larger?

The flame on the match appears larger in a hydrogen-filled room because there is a higher concentration of oxygen available for the reaction to occur. This allows for a larger and more intense combustion reaction, resulting in a larger flame.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with hydrogen gas?

When working with hydrogen gas, it is important to take proper safety precautions to prevent accidents. This includes ensuring proper ventilation, avoiding sources of ignition, and using appropriate storage and handling methods. It is also important to have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergency.