Hypatia, Elliptic orbits, conic sections

In summary, it seems Hypatia may have proposed elliptical orbits as a result of her study of conic sections. However, I do not know for sure, and further research is needed to confirm this.
JTC
I understand that Hypatia proposed elliptic orbits.
I also understand she studied conic sections.
And, of course, one of the intersections of an inclined plane through a cone is elliptical.

So now my question: if she did propose elliptic orbits (not interested in who may also have done it), what motivated her? If it was a result of her study of conic sections, then what is it about conic sections that compelled her to extend it to planetary orbits?

With Kepler, et. al. we can see his three laws of planetary motion, etc, ounded in mathematics. But what drove Hypatia? All I can envision is a leap from conic sections to orbits, but I cannot see how she made the leap. Or was it just a lucky guess?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JTC said:
With Kepler, et. al. we can see it was re-derivations and applications of Newton's work.

I don't know the answer to your main question, but what do you mean by this? Kepler died before Newton was born.

JTC said:
With Kepler, et. al. we can see it was re-derivations and applications of Newton's work. But what drove Hypatia? All I can envision is a leap from conic sections to orbits, but I cannot see how she made the leap. Or was it just a lucky guess?
As already pointed out, Kelper's laws came before Newton. Kepler law's were based on careful measurement of the planets. He observed that planets followed certain rules as they orbited the Sun. Newton later came along to give a theoretical basis for these observations Kepler made about planetary motion.

Janus said:
As already pointed out, Kelper's laws came before Newton. Kepler law's were based on careful measurement of the planets. He observed that planets followed certain rules as they orbited the Sun. Newton later came along to give a theoretical basis for these observations Kepler made about planetary motion.

Yes, sorry about that. I had this in my head --and conflated it over the three laws of each -- and did not even think before posting. I have corrected the post, since that was not the point; and I don't want the original question hijacked. Sorry.

What is your source for the claim that Hypatia proposed elliptical orbits? I have not seen this one!

mfig said:
What is your source for the claim that Hypatia proposed elliptical orbits? I have not seen this one!

I do not recall. I know I read it somewhere. Are you suggesting I am wrong? If so, I would like to know. I really thought she had proposed elliptical orbits.

This page http://historybooksreview.co.uk/what-did-hypatia-know-science-of-agora/ suggests the claim is from a movie, and describes it as a "bold assertion". It does note that it's plausible that she had access to information and techniques that would have allowed her to deduce that orbits were ellipses, but says there are no surviving primary sources.

I'm not in a position to comment on the veracity of any of this.

1. What is Hypatia?

Hypatia was a Greek mathematician, astronomer, and philosopher who lived in Alexandria, Egypt during the 4th and 5th centuries. She is known for her contributions to mathematics and her teachings in philosophy and astronomy.

2. What are Elliptic orbits?

Elliptic orbits are a type of orbital motion in which an object, such as a planet or satellite, follows an elliptical path around another object, such as a star or planet. These orbits are described by Kepler's laws of planetary motion and are a result of the gravitational pull between the two objects.

3. How are conic sections related to elliptic orbits?

Conic sections, such as circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas, are geometric shapes that can be formed by slicing a cone at different angles. These shapes are also seen in the paths of objects in elliptic orbits, with circles representing a circular orbit, and ellipses representing an elliptical orbit.

4. Why are elliptic orbits important in astronomy?

Elliptic orbits are important in astronomy because they allow us to understand and predict the motion of celestial objects, such as planets, comets, and satellites. They also provide insight into the laws of gravity and the structure of our solar system.

5. How did Hypatia contribute to the study of conic sections?

Hypatia is credited with writing commentaries on the works of famous mathematicians, including Apollonius of Perga who wrote extensively on conic sections. Her teachings and writings helped to preserve and advance the understanding of conic sections during her time and for future generations.