1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic Sine

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone,

I was in the middle of solving a physics problem and came across a math term I am having trouble solving. It is the hyperbolic sine term in this equation:

[tex]T=\frac{2.0x10^{-8}}{sinh^{2}[\frac{\sqrt{130(2.6x10^{10}-130)}}{1.05x10^{-34}}6x10^{11}]+2.0x10^{-8}}[/tex]

When plugging the sinh term into the calculator, I receive an error due to the massive size of the solution. Is there an equivalent method of taking a hyperbolic sine that can be done by hand since the calulator cannot handle the large exponent?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2
    You have the high road or the low road.

For the low road, get yourself a copy of the CRC Standard Math Tables. It has tables for Hyperbolic Functions.

For the high road there is Mathematica (my favorite) or MatLab.

For myself, even though I have copies of Mathematica and Matlab (both) at my easy disposal, I still like my book of standard math tables at times.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  4. Nov 12, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why bother?

HypSine(Humungous) equals 1/2*e^Humungous.

And 1/Superbig is just about zero.

5. Nov 12, 2006 #4
    Thanks for the replies. I suppose I will just use Mathematica this evening to obtain some number besides zero since it's a probability. Basically, it is the likelihood of a human launching from the Earth's surface at 4 m/s and reaching Jupiter.

6. Nov 12, 2006 #5
    Tell use what the odds are. OK?

7. Nov 13, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would you want an answer "besides zero"? Since 4 m/s is well below escape speed from earth, the "probabilty" of reaching Jupiter (or any thing except earth itself) is zero.

8. Nov 13, 2006 #7
    Well, quantum mechanically the probability is not exacly zero. Through the process known as "tunneling", a particle or object can travel through a potential energy barrier, in this case gravity, with its total energy less than the potential energy. I did actually put zero as my final answer in the end since I included my steps for solving the problem. The final probability ended up being something along the lines of [tex]e^{10^{44}}[/tex]

9. Nov 13, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think you forgot a minus sign somewhere in your exponent. :smile:

10. Nov 13, 2006 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, thanks to the many worlds variety of quantum mechanics there are [tex]e^{10^{5000}}[/tex] ways of a person launching from earth at 4 m/s. So [tex]e^{10^{44}}[/tex] people actually escape earth for each person that attempts to launch.

*nod*

11. Nov 13, 2006 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you sure there shouldn't be a negative sign in the exponent? If not, I jump up and down a few times and Jupiter is overrun with people!

12. Nov 13, 2006 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jupiters are overrun with people. But imagine how many Jupiters there are at that point

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?