Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am in need of an interesting (advanced) mathematical topic for my Math Seminar

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    class. I did a lecture last semester on financial mathematics and stochastic processes. Know of any cool topics that I could lecture on?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2
    Re: I am in need of an interesting (advanced) mathematical topic for my Math Seminar.

Related to financial mathematics and stochastic processes or just an advanced topic? What is your background?

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    Re: I am in need of an interesting (advanced) mathematical topic for my Math Seminar.

Actually, I was looking at staying away from the mathematical finance realm (since I already did that). I have taken Calculus I and II (both with theory), Calculus III, Mathematical Statistics, Probability (with Calculus), Linear Algebra (proof-based), Mathematical Modeling, and Set Theory. I am currently taking Advanced Linear Algebra and ODE (I have familiarised myself with stochastic calculus). It needs to be lengthy, whatever the topic (lectures are supposed to last up to 1 hour... though they can be as short as 30 minutes).

5. Feb 8, 2012 #4

Here's a list of easily-accessible and very interesting topics:

• Topology and Mobius Strips
    • Basic Cryptography
    • Tilings and Lattices
    • Fractals
    • Various appearances of the Fibonacci Sequence
    • Continued fractions
    • Diophantine equations (A little more involved :D )

Here's a website I found with many cool ideas:

http://www.math.yorku.ca/highschool/seminar_topics.html

Good luck!

6. Feb 8, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you have any course that you really liked?? Do you have any course in mind you would like to do something on??

Just of the top of my hat: solving the heat equation is a very cool and broad topic. And you'll get to talk about Fourier series and Fourier analysis.

Or you can talk about image processing: talk about fractals, fourier analysis, wavelets, etc.

Or Markov chains are also immensely cool. Markov chains are currently used for example in google pagerank.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook