Projectile Motion: Determining Velocity and Distance at Different Angles

I am not sure what equations you are using in your work, particularly the first line. There are also issues with units, your value of g is in ##\text{m/s}^{2}## but your other values are in units of cm.In summary, the initial velocity can be found by setting the equation for the height of the projectile equal to zero and solving for time. The initial velocity in the x direction can then be used to find the distance traveled at a 60 degree angle with a given height. The equations used should be converted to use consistent units before solving.
Charlotte57

Homework Statement

find the initial velocity if a ball is shot at 0 degrees, goes 99.3 cm forward at a height of 25.5cm
then use this velocity to determine the x distance if shot at 60 degrees at a height of 114cm
part 1
Vinitial: ?
delta x: 99.3cm
delta y: 25.5cm
degree: 0
Part 2
Vinitial: from part 1
delta x: ?
delta y: 114cm
degree: 60
delta t: ?

Homework Equations

x = xinitial + Vinitial * t +.5at^2
x = -b+/- sq.rt.(b^2 - 4ac))/2a
others?

The Attempt at a Solution

99.3sqrt((2*25.5)/9.8 = -42.7cm/s
42.7 +/- sqrt 1823.29 - 4(-4.9)(114)/-9.8
-10.86 or 2.14
this is as far as I get bc I know t should be positive but 2.14 is way too large to be reasonable

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure what equations you are using in your work, particularly the first line. There are also issues with units, your value of g is in ##\text{m/s}^{2}## but your other values are in units of cm.

If you set up the one dimensional motion equation in the vertical direction, what do you get? Can you find the time of flight using this?

Oh i didn't even see that the acceleration wasn't converted to cm! sorry for being confusing
and for the one dimensional motion equation do you mean this one?
V^2(final) = V^2(initial) + 2a(x(final) - x(initial)
but rearranged
if so I get:
-V^2(initial) = 2⋅980(99.3 - 0) - 0
V(initial) = -441.17cm/s
if I apply this to t using the quadratic formula
t = (441.17 +/- √(194628 - 4(490)(114))/2⋅490
t = 29.85s or -28.95s
yes?

You really should use more text. I think your first line finds the initial velocity in the right way. The answer is incorrect however, because you mix meters and cm.
You should really write something like this:
The equation for the height of the projectile is ... . Setting this to 0 and solving for t gives t = ..., Since [equation involving the x coordinatie of the projectile] the initial velocity is ...
I really have to idea what you try to do in the second line. You use the quadratic equation but I can't see why. What is the inital velociyy in the x and y direction? Give an equation for the x and y coordinate as a function of time.

Charlotte57 said:
and for the one dimensional motion equation do you mean this one?
I mean the one involving ##t##
$$x=x_{0}+v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}$$
What does this look like along the y (vertical) axis?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is being acted on only by the force of gravity. It follows a curved path, known as a parabola, due to the vertical and horizontal components of its velocity.

2. How is velocity determined in projectile motion?

The velocity of an object in projectile motion is determined by its initial velocity and the force of gravity. The horizontal velocity remains constant, while the vertical velocity changes due to the acceleration of gravity. The overall velocity can be calculated using trigonometric functions and the angle of projection.

3. What factors affect the distance traveled in projectile motion?

The distance traveled by a projectile is influenced by the initial velocity, the angle of projection, and the acceleration of gravity. Air resistance can also play a role, but it is often neglected in theoretical calculations.

4. How does the angle of projection affect the velocity and distance traveled in projectile motion?

The angle of projection has a significant impact on both the velocity and distance traveled in projectile motion. A smaller angle will result in a lower vertical velocity and shorter distance, while a larger angle will result in a higher vertical velocity and longer distance. The maximum distance is achieved at a 45-degree angle.

5. What are some real-life examples of projectile motion?

Some common real-life examples of projectile motion include throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, hitting a golf ball, and launching a rocket. All of these objects follow a parabolic path due to the force of gravity.