Understanding Factorials and Series Convergence in Mathematics

• Thread starter PhysicsUnderg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorials
In summary, the conversation involved discussing the expansion of factorials in a series, specifically the series of 1/(2n)! from n=1 to infinity. The ratio test was used to determine that the series is absolutely convergent. There was a concern about the expansion of factorials and whether the answer obtained was correct. The conversation then shifted to using a comparison test to show that the series is indeed convergent. The correct way to write the series in LaTeX was also mentioned.
PhysicsUnderg
I am unsure as to how factorials should be expanded.

I have [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\stackrel{1}{(2n!)}[/tex] (if what was just typed did not make sense due to html error on my part, it is supposed to say the sum of 1/(2n)!) from n=1 to infinity. I did the ratio test and found the limit to be 0, which is less than 1, which means this series is absolutely convergent. My fear is that I didn't expand the factorials properly and perhaps my answer is wrong. Could someone let me know if my answer makes sense?

FYI: (2n+2)! I expanded as (2n+2)(2n+1)(2n)!

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsUnderg said:

I have [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\stackrel{1}{(2n!)}[/tex] (if what was just typed did not make sense due to html error on my part, it is supposed to say the sum of 1/(2n)!) from n=1 to infinity. I did the ratio test and found the limit to be 0, which is less than 1, which means this series is absolutely convergent. My fear is that I didn't expand the factorials properly and perhaps my answer is wrong. Could someone let me know if my answer makes sense?

You can always try another method.
For example, the series of 1/(2n)! goes
1/2, 1/24, 1/720, 1/40320.

Compare it to the series 1/2^n.
1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and so on

Now, notice that every element of the second series is greater than or equal to the corresponding element of your series.
1/2 = 1/2
1/4 > 1/24
1/8 > 1/720

Now, 1/2^n is a convergent series, yes?

So if you are summing these series, you can compare the two using what we always called racetrack theorem. Every term of my series is greater than the corresponding term of your series. My series converges to 1 as n->infinity. Can your series possibly be larger?

So, you tell me does your answer make sense?

Well, I know from the comparison test, if An=1/(2n)! and Bn=1/2n and if An is less than Bn, and if Bn is convergent, than An is also convergent. Yet, in this case, Bn is divergent (because 1/2n is a p-series with p=1, and this is divergent.) So, the comparison test shows nothing...

So, I am guess I still am not seeing the answer. :-(

PhysicsUnderg said:

You did it just right.

Here's a tip on the LaTeX - don't use \stackrel for fractions - use \frac{}{}. Click on what I've written below to see the LaTeX code I wrote.
[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{
\infty} \frac{1}{(2n)!}[/tex]

The comparison you are trying An=1/(2n)! and Bn=1/2n is not showing anything because Bn is divergent. Instead of these, try it with a different comparison. The one I mentioned before works.
An=1/(2n)! and Cn=1/2^n
An < Cn and Cn is convergent, so An must also be convergent.

To djeikyb: your response makes sense now. I misunderstood 1/2^n to be 1/2n. Thank you. :-)

To Mark44: Thank you :-)

Notice that (2n!), which is what you originally wrote, and (2n)! are very different!

[tex]\sum \frac{1}{2n!}= \frac{1}{2}\sum \frac{1}{n!}= \frac{1}{2}e[/tex].

1. What is a factorial?

A factorial is a mathematical function denoted by the symbol ! that multiplies a given number by all of the positive integers less than it. For example, the factorial of 5 (written as 5!) is 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

2. How do I calculate factorials?

To calculate a factorial, you simply multiply the given number by all of the positive integers less than it. For larger numbers, you can use a calculator or a computer program to calculate the factorial.

3. What are factorials used for?

Factorials are commonly used in combinatorics and probability to calculate the number of possible outcomes. They are also used in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

4. What is the largest factorial that can be calculated?

The largest factorial that can be calculated depends on the computing power available. With a standard calculator, the largest factorial that can be calculated is 69!. However, with larger computing systems, much larger factorials can be calculated.

5. What happens if I take the factorial of a negative number?

The factorial function is only defined for non-negative integers. Taking the factorial of a negative number is not meaningful in mathematics and will result in an error.