I can't figure out what I am doing wrong Getting Frustrated

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the problem involves a helium-neon laser with a wavelength of 629 nm and a diffraction grating. The distance between two m=3 bright fringes on a screen 1.72 m behind the grating is given as 33 cm. Using the equation d*sin theta = m*lamda, the spacing between the slits of the grating can be calculated as 1.00x10^-5 m. However, the angle used in the equation should be half of 10.86º or 5.43º.
BuBbLeS01
I can't figure out what I am doing wrong! Getting Frustrated!

Homework Statement

A helium-neon laser (λ=629 nm) illuminates a diffraction grating. The distance between the two m=3 bright fringes is 33 cm on a screen 1.72 m behind the grating. What is the spacing between slits of the grating?

Homework Equations

Lamda = 629 nm
m = 3
y = 0.33 m
L = 1.72 m
d = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was tan theta = y/L = 0.33/1.72 = 1086 degrees
then I used the equation d*sin theta = m*lamda
and solved for d... d = m*lamda/sin theta = 1.00x10^-5 m but I am getting it wrong...what am I not doing right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm understanding this problem statement correctly, it is giving you the distance between the m=3 maxima on either side of the midline. This means that each of these fringes is half of 10.86º away from the midline, or 5.43º.

So I think this may be the angle you are to use in the diffraction equation, with m = 3 and lambda = 629·10^-9 m.

oh ok thank you that's it!

1. What steps should I take to troubleshoot my problem?

First, identify the specific issue you are having. Then, try to replicate the problem to see if it consistently occurs. Next, review any relevant documentation or resources to see if there are any known solutions. If not, try to break down the problem into smaller parts and test each one individually. Finally, consider reaching out to colleagues or experts for assistance.

2. How can I stay organized and keep track of my progress?

Create a detailed plan or outline for your project. This will help you stay organized and focused on each step. Additionally, keep track of any changes or updates you make, as well as any results or observations. This will make it easier to identify patterns and potential solutions.

3. What can I do if I am feeling frustrated or stuck?

Take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Sometimes stepping away and doing something else can help clear your mind and lead to new ideas. You can also try discussing the problem with colleagues or seeking advice from others who may have encountered similar issues.

4. How can I prevent making the same mistakes in the future?

After finding a solution, make sure to document it for future reference. This will serve as a helpful reminder and save you time in the future. Additionally, consider reviewing your troubleshooting process to see if there are any areas where you can improve or streamline your approach.

5. Is it normal to encounter challenges and make mistakes in scientific research?

Yes, it is completely normal and expected to face challenges and make mistakes in scientific research. In fact, these obstacles can often lead to new discoveries and advancements. It is important to stay persistent and not get discouraged, as these challenges are a natural part of the scientific process.