I can't figure this Trig Identity out help please?

He had tried various approaches but was unable to solve it. He reached out for help and someone suggested using the double angle formula for cosine to expand the right hand side. After some more work and factoring, Joe was able to successfully verify the identity.
jtart2
I need to verify the given identity. I've tried every which way i can think of, but can't figure this one out. I am self-studying this book "College Trigonometry 5th Edition by Aufmann.

This is exercise set 3.3, problem 63.

cos^2(x) - 2sin^2(x)cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) + 2sin^4(x) = cos^2(2x)

Can anyone figure this out, or is this a misprint?

Thanks for your help,

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried using the double angle formulae for cosine to expand the right hand side?

jtart2 said:
Can anyone figure this out, or is this a misprint?

No Joe, it works out ok.

Start with [itex]cos^2 x - sin^2 x = cos 2x[/itex] and square both sides. This gets you the require RHS straight up and most of the terms you require on the LHS too. You then need to do a bit more work (apply more trig identities to the terms that don't yet "fit") on the LHS and it comes out fairly easily.

Thanks, uart, I finally figured it out. I was starting on the left side instead of the right. After factoring and factoring and factoring it finally worked out! I've never factored so much in my life!

Joe

FAQ: I can't figure this Trig Identity out help please?

1. What is a Trig Identity?

A Trig Identity is a mathematical equation that expresses a relationship between trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These identities can be used to simplify or solve more complex trigonometric equations.

2. Why is it important to understand Trig Identities?

Understanding Trig Identities is important because they can be used to simplify and solve equations in various fields such as physics, engineering, and geometry. They also serve as building blocks for more advanced mathematical concepts.

3. How can I determine which Trig Identity to use?

There are a few methods for determining which Trig Identity to use, including looking for patterns in the equation, using known identities as a starting point, and manipulating the equation to create a more recognizable form.

4. What are some common mistakes when working with Trig Identities?

Common mistakes when working with Trig Identities include forgetting to apply the identity correctly, not simplifying the equation fully, and using the wrong identity or formula. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Trig Identities?

The best way to improve your skills in solving Trig Identities is through practice. Make sure to fully understand the basic identities and techniques, and then attempt a variety of equations to challenge yourself. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or working with a study group can also be beneficial.

Back