I can't seem to find this limit

In summary: You should still have an n in the square root, but it will be multiplied by a constant factor.In summary, the student attempted to simplify a fraction involving square roots by using the conjugate method and dividing the numerator and denominator by n^2. However, they were left with a messy expression and attempted to simplify it by pulling out the highest power of n from each square root.
Lavender

Homework Statement

1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the rule of multiplying with the "conjugate", for example what's above multiplied by (√n^3+3n)+(√n^3+2n^2+3)/(√n^3+3n)+(√n^3+2n^2+3).
But I'm left with a huge mess :(
I also tried dividing the top and the bottom by n^2 in the square roots to get the n out, but that didn't work either :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Lavender said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 94117

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the rule of multiplying with the "conjugate", for example what's above multiplied by (√n^3+3n)+(√n^3+2n^2+3)/(√n^3+3n)+(√n^3+2n^2+3).
But I'm left with a huge mess :(
I also tried dividing the top and the bottom by n^2 in the square roots to get the n out, but that didn't work either :(
The conjugate method looks good here. It doesn't give a mess in the numerator, right? In the denominator, do you need all the terms, or is it sufficient then only to look at the leading terms?

The image is so bad I can't even see the value of the exponents, try to write it out in latex next time.
Assuming what you wrote is ##\frac{\sqrt{n^3+3n}-\sqrt{n^3+2n^2+3}}{\sqrt{n+2}}##
multiplying with the conjugate works for me. After you done that note that only the "highest order" terms matter.

Lavender said:
After you multiply by the conjugate, you want to pull the highest power of n, not ##n^2##, out of each of the square roots.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a specific point.

2. How can I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use various methods such as substitution, factoring, or applying algebraic properties. You can also use graphical and numerical approaches, or the formal definition of a limit.

3. What does it mean if I can't find the limit of a function?

If you can't find the limit of a function, it means that the function may not have a well-defined limit at that point. This could be due to discontinuities, oscillations, or other complex behavior of the function near that point.

4. Can limits be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, limits have various applications in real-world problems, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems, and to optimize processes and designs.

5. Are there any rules or theorems for calculating limits?

Yes, there are several rules and theorems for calculating limits, such as the Limit Laws, the Squeeze Theorem, and L'Hospital's Rule. These rules and theorems help simplify the process of finding limits and can be applied to various types of functions.