AP Physics: The Impact on Success in Physics and Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of calculus in a small Idahoan school and its potential impact on academic success in the fields of physics and engineering. The participants conclude that not having access to calculus in high school should not be a cause for concern and that students should focus on excelling in their current classes and potentially self-study calculus if it is not offered at their school. They also mention the option of taking a physics class at a community college during the summer. Overall, the conversation suggests that self-motivation and determination are key factors in achieving academic success, rather than simply relying on the courses offered at a particular school.
GreatEscapist
It's not offered in my small Idahoan school. Does this put me behind the game? All my older friends that went into physics/engineering say that the kids without it or calculus in high school never did as well.
Is this true, or is it just a scare? :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a scare. You're 1 class out of 20 behind (assuming you could even get credit). Then again its possible that the students they're talking about didnt take calculus or AP physics because they had no strong interest in science/engineering so it would make sense that they don't do well.

Whatever, point is, it's a scare, forget about it.

If it's not offered, then don't worry about it. Just concentrate on getting good grades and learning the material in the classes that you do take.

If you want to study physics, then you should learn calculus as early as possible. If it is not taught in school then you should learn it on your own.

This is not something you should be scared about. You should think of moving ahead of everyone instead of falling behind. I.e. if you just do what is required of you, you'll perform just like everyone else. If you study harder, you'll move ahead. And the best time to move ahead is years before you go to university.

When I was at university, I noted that the best of the best students happened to be the onces who had mastered calculus at a young age and who liked to do math problems on their own for fun.

Actually you can self-study the course and take the exam and you will still receive AP credits. There isn't a single college I know that does not allow this.

When I was in High school, AP Calculus BC was not offered. I had to self-study on my own. Thankfully, I got a 5. And I am no genius either.

Funny thing is, the people that took the AP Calc AB in my school (in a classroom with a teacher) got 4s (few of them got a 5, the majority were 4s)

another idea would be to take a physics class at a community college during the summer. I'm not sure what the costs are like in idaho, but in san diego it's only $26 per unit.

Danton said:
another idea would be to take a physics class at a community college during the summer. I'm not sure what the costs are like in idaho, but in san diego it's only $26 per unit.

True, but most colleges require high school students a letter of support from a moderator such as the Principal in most cases. Some required grades and perhaps some letters of support from math teachers. It can be quite tedious if you think about it.

flyingpig said:
Actually you can self-study the course and take the exam and you will still receive AP credits. There isn't a single college I know that does not allow this.
I was actually wondering if I could do this.
Awesome. I think that I will actually do that, since it makes more sense. Thanks.
I love physics. :D

Colleges will base their decisions on the opportunities present at your current school...

I am currently taking AP Physics and see no reason why you couldn't self study this course... especially since you probably are an intelligent individual, and if you are already enrolled in some sort of physics course it would be that much easier...

1. What is AP Physics and why is it important for success in physics and engineering?

AP Physics is an advanced placement course that covers the fundamental concepts of physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. It is important for success in physics and engineering because it provides a strong foundation in these concepts, which are essential for understanding more complex topics and solving real-world problems.

2. How does AP Physics prepare students for college-level physics and engineering courses?

AP Physics is designed to be equivalent to a college-level introductory physics course. It covers the same topics and uses the same mathematical and analytical methods. By completing AP Physics, students develop the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in college-level physics and engineering courses.

3. What are the benefits of taking AP Physics?

Taking AP Physics has several benefits, including earning college credit, demonstrating proficiency in physics to potential colleges and employers, and developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in various fields. Additionally, the rigor of the course can also help students develop important study habits and time-management skills.

4. Is AP Physics suitable for all students, even those who are not planning to pursue a career in physics or engineering?

Yes, AP Physics is suitable for all students who have an interest in physics and are willing to put in the effort to learn the material. While the course may be more challenging for students who do not plan to pursue a career in physics or engineering, it can still provide valuable skills and knowledge that can be applied in other fields.

5. What can students expect to learn in AP Physics and how is it taught?

In AP Physics, students can expect to learn about the fundamental principles of physics, such as motion, forces, energy, electricity, and magnetism. The course is typically taught through a combination of lectures, hands-on experiments, and problem-solving activities. Students will also have opportunities to work collaboratively and develop their critical thinking skills through class discussions and group projects.