Where Can I Find Resources for Homeschooling AP Physics C?

In summary, the speaker is looking for resources for homeschooling in their last two years of high school. They have found a website offering AP physics courses, but they were not impressed with the sample lecture and found errors. They suggest looking for online college level courses or free textbooks for the AP physics C exam. They also advise considering previous math and physics courses before jumping into college level physics.
Ethxn
I have decided to go home schooled for my last two years of high school and I am trying to make a curriculum at the moment. Do any of you know a good resource for this? It has not been too hard to find a physics 1 or 2 course, but calculus based physics courses have been pretty sparse. So far I have found this website: https://www.educator.com/physics/ap-physics-c-mechanics/fullerton/ which does have APC but I don't really know if there are better options or not...

Physics news on Phys.org
I can only say that I was not impressed with the sample I saw at that web site. I looked at a sample lecture involving torque on a body and in the first slide there were several errors. One of them was the statement, "Torque is the force ..." No, it doesn't matter how the rest of the sentence reads; torque IS NOT a force. Torque is a moment (which may not help much) defined as rxF (which he got correct) that tends to cause a rotation.

I think I'd keep looking if I were you. You might look for some online college level courses.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/resources-high-school-physics-home/

I'd give careful consideration to your math and previous physics or physical science courses before jumping into college level physics.

But if you are really ready for it, college level physics through a dual enrollment program (many are on line) is often a better option for home schoolers than AP coursework.

This website https://openstax.org/subjects has a number of free, peer-reviewed textbooks. For the AP physics C exam, you'd want University Physics (mostly Volume 1). You can find a lot of videos online explaining various concepts.

1. What is the difference between AP Physics C and regular high school physics?

AP Physics C is an advanced level course that covers both mechanics and electricity & magnetism, while regular high school physics typically only covers mechanics. AP Physics C also requires a deeper understanding of calculus and has a more rigorous curriculum.

2. Is homeschooling AP Physics C a viable option for students?

Yes, homeschooling AP Physics C can be a great option for students who are self-motivated and have a strong foundation in math and physics. It allows for a more personalized and flexible learning experience, but it also requires dedication and commitment from the student.

3. Can homeschooling AP Physics C prepare students for the AP exam?

Yes, with the right resources and study materials, homeschooling AP Physics C can adequately prepare students for the AP exam. It is important for students to have access to practice questions and tests, as well as review materials to ensure they are ready for the exam.

4. Do homeschooled students have access to laboratory experiments for AP Physics C?

Yes, there are resources available for homeschooled students to conduct laboratory experiments for AP Physics C. Many online programs and homeschooling curricula provide virtual or at-home lab options, and there are also local science centers and community colleges that may offer lab access to homeschoolers.

5. Can homeschooling AP Physics C help students in their college applications?

Yes, homeschooling AP Physics C can be a valuable addition to a student's college application. It shows that the student has taken on a challenging course and has the ability to manage their own learning. It also demonstrates a strong interest and aptitude in science and math, which can be attractive to colleges and universities.