Unraveling the Mystery of "x^{\blacksquare}" on a Casio fx-82MS

• Calculators
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Casio Mystery
In summary, the conversation is about a scientific calculator and a question regarding the function that is represented by the black square on the calculator's keyboard. The solution is found to be using logarithm and antilogarithm functions. The conversation also includes a recommendation to download a teaching manual for the Casio fx-82MS calculator.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I have no clue about a LaTeX symbol at a Spanish thread.
Hi, PF

The scientific calculator I have is a Casio fx-82MS. At the keyboard, the ##\fbox {^}## button is the one provided to calculate powers.

My doubt is not my calculator: is a sentence at a native thread: "##x^{\blacksquare}## es la función" (the function is ##x^{\blacksquare}##). The question: What function, which key, and how does it work?.

I don't manage in my own language :confused:

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
All I see is "x to the power of ... black square".

Why don't you just direct us to the thread?

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Sadly, I think youll have ask the poster directly. It could be almost anything although its likely x to the n or for a calculator x to the y or something similar.

Likes mcastillo356
mcastillo356 said:
The question: What function, which key, and how does it work?
The evaluation of; z = xy; z = x^y; is done via the logarithm and antilogarithm functions.
Z = Alog( Log( x ) * y ); The natural log is ln( x ); The natural antilog is e^( x ) .

• Love
Likes mcastillo356 and jedishrfu
Thank you, PF, once more!

It works! Good advice at #5.
Thanks, Baluncore. I've linked at #7. It's fantastic.
:heart:!

Likes berkeman

1. What is "x^{\blacksquare}" on a Casio fx-82MS calculator?

"x^{\blacksquare}" is an expression commonly used in mathematics to represent an unknown value or variable. On a Casio fx-82MS calculator, it is typically used in equations to solve for the value of "x".

2. How do I input "x^{\blacksquare}" on a Casio fx-82MS calculator?

To input "x^{\blacksquare}" on a Casio fx-82MS calculator, press the "x^{\blacksquare}" button located under the "CALC" button. This will insert the symbol into your equation or calculation.

3. How do I use "x^{\blacksquare}" to solve equations on a Casio fx-82MS calculator?

To use "x^{\blacksquare}" to solve equations on a Casio fx-82MS calculator, you will need to enter the equation into the calculator, using "x^{\blacksquare}" to represent the unknown variable. Then, you can use the "SOLVE" button to find the value of "x".

4. Can "x^{\blacksquare}" be used for complex numbers on a Casio fx-82MS calculator?

Yes, "x^{\blacksquare}" can be used for complex numbers on a Casio fx-82MS calculator. The calculator has the ability to solve equations with both real and complex solutions.

5. Are there any other functions or features of the Casio fx-82MS calculator related to "x^{\blacksquare}"?

Yes, the Casio fx-82MS calculator also has a "POL" function, which allows you to solve polynomial equations using "x^{\blacksquare}". Additionally, the calculator has a "Table" function, which can generate a table of values for an equation containing "x^{\blacksquare}".