1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't understand electric fields.

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    According to my textbook, the electrical field is defined as E = F/q where q --> 0, because we want the test charge to affect the other charges around it in the least possible way. It then goes on to say that qE = F is true for charges not strong enough to move the other charges. Why is that, if the electrical field was defined very specifically? Why can I use qE = F for all charges, as if the q wasn't a test charge all along?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2
    They just define it that way to say that the charge q is small enough not to affect the electric field already in place. If the electric field generated by q was comparable to E, then they would interact differently than they do in this situation.

4. Oct 6, 2013 #3
    yes.he is correct. furthermore,for proper studies an extra factor which is proportional to 1by r may arise..due to the disturbace by photon on the charge particle..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook