I don't understand how to laplace transform heaviside functions

In summary, the conversation is discussing the Laplace transform of (6-t)heaviside(t-2) and the confusion the person is having with the rules and the correct approach to taking the transform. They eventually figure out that they need to use u(t) for heaviside(t) and make the necessary adjustments to the formula to get the correct answer.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

(6-t)heaviside(t-2)

This is just one term of the real problem I'm working, but it will serve to help me figure this out.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=laplace+transform+{(6-t)heaviside(t-2)}

I really, REALLY don't understand how to do this, at all.

My textbook makes the following claims:

heaviside(t-c) laplace transform: e^(-c)/s
heaviside(t-c)f(t-c) laplace transform: e^(-cs)F(s) where F denotes the transform of f

Ok, fine. Apparently I am not very math literate because that makes me do the following:

(6-t)heaviside(t-2) = (4-(t-2))heaviside(t-2) = 4heaviside(t-2) - (t-2)heaviside(t-2)

By the rules above, the laplace transform I want to say is:

4e^(-2s)/s - e^(-2s)(1/s^2 - 2/s)

Which is wrong. I have NO idea what to do with this, I don't understand what these rules are telling me to do.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
*sigh* nevermind, I see that I am transforming the shifted function and I shouldn't be.

This is annoying.

1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

(6-t)heaviside(t-2)

This is just one term of the real problem I'm working, but it will serve to help me figure this out.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=laplace+transform+{(6-t)heaviside(t-2)}

I really, REALLY don't understand how to do this, at all.

My textbook makes the following claims:

heaviside(t-c) laplace transform: e^(-c)/s
heaviside(t-c)f(t-c) laplace transform: e^(-cs)F(s) where F denotes the transform of f

Ok, fine. Apparently I am not very math literate because that makes me do the following:

(6-t)heaviside(t-2) = (4-(t-2))heaviside(t-2) = 4heaviside(t-2) - (t-2)heaviside(t-2)

By the rules above, the laplace transform I want to say is:

4e^(-2s)/s - e^(-2s)(1/s^2 - 2/s)Which is wrong. I have NO idea what to do with this, I don't understand what these rules are telling me to do.

Thanks for any advice.

I will use ##u(t)## for heaviside(t). You have the formula$$
\mathcal L(f(t-c)u(t-c) = e^{-sc}\mathcal L(f(t))=e^{-sc}F(s)$$The problem with using this for taking transforms is that usually you are asked to take the transform of ##f(t)u(t-c)##. In your example where ##f(t) = 6 -t## that is why they jump through hoops to write ##6-t =4-(t-2)##, so it is written as a function of ##(t-2)## to match the ##u(t-2)##.

Let's look at what you would get taking the transform of ##f(t)u(t-c)##:$$
\mathcal L(f(t)u(t-c) = \int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(t)u(t-c)\, dt =\int_c^\infty e^{-st}f(t)\, dt$$Now let ##v = t-c## so we get$$
\int_0^\infty e^{-s(v+c)}f(v+c)\, dv =e^{-sc}\int_0^\infty e^{-sv}f(v+c)\, dv =
e^{-sc}\int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(t+c)\, dt=e^{-sc}\mathcal L(f(t+c))$$This says that if you want to transform ##f(t)u(t-c)## you can do the following steps:
1. Replace ##t## by ##t+c## in the formula for ##f(t)##.
2. Transform that.
3. Multiply the result by ##e^{-sc}##.
Try it and see if you like it.

[Edit] I see you solved it while I was typing. Try my suggestion anyway, you might like it better.

1. What is the Laplace transform of a Heaviside function?

The Laplace transform of a Heaviside function, also known as the unit step function, is 1/s, where s is the complex variable in the Laplace domain. This means that the Laplace transform of a Heaviside function is an exponential function with an exponent of -s.

2. How do you apply the Laplace transform to a Heaviside function?

To apply the Laplace transform to a Heaviside function, you need to use the properties of the Laplace transform, such as linearity and time-shifting. For example, if a Heaviside function is multiplied by a constant, you can use the linearity property to factor out the constant and then apply the Laplace transform to the remaining function.

3. Can the Laplace transform be used on a Heaviside function with an offset?

Yes, the Laplace transform can be applied to a Heaviside function with an offset, also known as a ramp function. The offset can be accounted for by using the time-shifting property of the Laplace transform. For example, a Heaviside function with an offset of a can be transformed into (1/s)e^(-as).

4. What is the inverse Laplace transform of a Heaviside function?

The inverse Laplace transform of a Heaviside function is 1. This is because the Laplace transform of a Heaviside function is an exponential function with an exponent of -s, and the inverse Laplace transform of an exponential function is always 1.

5. Are there any specific applications of the Laplace transform to Heaviside functions?

Yes, the Laplace transform is commonly used in control systems to analyze the behavior of systems that involve Heaviside functions, such as step response and impulse response. It is also used in circuit analysis to solve differential equations that involve Heaviside functions.