I don't understand this question.

• Thread starter SomethingWrong
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for clarification on the value of N in a physics problem involving a long solenoid and a closely packed coil. The question notes that the solution uses both N and n, with N being the number of turns and n being the value of 220. The discussion also points out that using different variables, such as N1 and N2, may have made the solution easier to understand. However, without seeing the full description of the problem and the formula being used, it is difficult to determine the correct value for N.
SomethingWrong
So I'm reading the book on physics in the chapter: Inductance.

The questions is: The long Solenoid turns/cm and carries a i = 1.5 A, its diameter D is 3.2cm. At its centre we place a 130- turn closely packed coil C of diameter d = 2.1cm. etc etc

My question is, in the solution the N is 130, but its 220.

And I noticed 2 N's. N and n. N is number of turns which should be 220 but its actually 130, and n is 220.

Shouldn't it be N1 and N2? Easier to understand, I completely skimmed it through and didn't see the lower case n.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is incomplete, I'm afraid. What formula are you using and what is the value of the "The long Solenoid turns/cm" ? Show us the whole thing.

Its hard to say. We would need to see the full description of the question and/or the book from which it came.

Notationally, authors are free to use whatever follows the general convention which means sometimes capitals are used for one set of parameters and lowercase for another.

1. What should I do if I don't understand a question?

First, try to carefully read the question again and break it down into smaller parts. If that doesn't help, ask for clarification from the person who asked the question or from someone who may know the answer. You can also do some research or use resources like textbooks or the internet to help you understand the question better.

2. What if I still don't understand the question after trying to read it again and asking for help?

If you are still struggling to understand the question, it's okay to admit that you don't understand. You can politely ask the person who asked the question to rephrase it or provide more context. Sometimes, questions can be unclear or poorly worded, and it's important to communicate this in order to get a better understanding.

3. Should I just guess or make up an answer if I don't understand the question?

No, it's important to have a clear understanding of the question before attempting to answer it. Making up an answer or guessing can lead to incorrect information and may not help you learn the material. It's better to ask for clarification or do some research to fully understand the question before attempting to answer it.

4. What if I am too embarrassed to admit that I don't understand the question?

It's natural to feel embarrassed or uncomfortable when you don't understand something, but it's important to remember that asking for clarification is a normal part of the learning process. It's better to ask for help and gain a better understanding than to struggle and potentially get the wrong information. Remember, everyone has moments where they don't understand something, and it's okay to ask for help.

5. How can I prevent not understanding a question in the future?

One way to prevent not understanding a question in the future is to actively engage in class or group discussions. This can help you better understand the material and ask questions for clarification. It's also helpful to take notes and review them regularly to reinforce your understanding. Additionally, practicing critical thinking and problem-solving skills can also help you better understand and analyze questions in the future.