Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I feel sick from my biologist friend

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    I have a friend who is a major in biology and he asked me why Newtonian physics is still being taught in higschool and college since he said Einstein "destroyed" (yes that was his term) Newtonian physics, and I said "you should stick to biology" and went home sick from hearing it...:yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2
    You should have said Darwin was wrong and evolution is "just a theory".

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3
    lol, yeah! that would have spited him :rofl:

5. Feb 3, 2010 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't even count the times biologist friends have made me barf, but it was for completely different reasons. I'm not sure we should allow them in polite company.

6. Feb 3, 2010 #5
    I just learned the gastro-intestinal tract is considered part of the outside of the body. Biologists don't consider them inside till they cross a tissue wall.

7. Feb 4, 2010 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't imagine a mathematician would consider it "inside" either.

8. Feb 4, 2010 #7

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fricken topology...making anatomy more disgusting since 1954. (Yes, that year is totally random)

9. Feb 4, 2010 #8
    I think you need to get your priorities in order if you get up and leave your friends for not knowing something about physics when it's pretty clear they have never taken a physics class.

10. Feb 4, 2010 #9
    Yeah, the human body is a torus. So cool.

11. Feb 4, 2010 #10
    I'm pretty sure he and other biologists have at least taken physics classes in highschool so he should have at least basic knowledge about physics, unless of course he went through college thinking his highschool physics teacher taught him wrong stuff :yuck:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  12. Feb 4, 2010 #11
    Anyone who majors in Biology has to pass a basic intro to physics course. That accomplished, they promptly forget it all. Same for anyone going into medicine. In the course of fulfilling that prerequisite, your friend clearly got Einstein's effect on classical physics garbled up.

13. Feb 4, 2010 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We remind them again when they get to med school. I don't know how many times in the past couple of weeks I've had to say to a med student, "That's why you had to take physics to get into med school."

There are so many more fun ways to gross out people with biology, it's a shame to have to resort to a lack of knowledge of physics. :rolleyes:

14. Feb 4, 2010 #13
    I majored in Zoology (for pre-med/pre-dent), and got MORE interested in physics-

-partly due to the physics teachers, and the ones who said, "We don't know why/what/how those things work"

15. Feb 4, 2010 #14

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, Einstein's SR and GR did supersede Newton's F=ma and Law of universal gravitation in precision and range of effectiveness (although, F=dp/dt still works). I, myself wouldn't call that "destroyed", but I can see where he's coming from...

16. Feb 5, 2010 #15
    Newton is my source of inspiration and i love physics.

17. Feb 5, 2010 #16
    You've never read the history about him, have you? Probably the last person to aspire to.

18. Feb 5, 2010 #17
    My thoughts too when I read his post, unless you want to be a secluded eccentric.

19. Feb 5, 2010 #18
    I remember Feynman has said something about this topic in his Lectures

20. Feb 5, 2010 #19
    hahaha so true! he probably hasn't seen Newton playing poker yet! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  21. Feb 5, 2010 #20
    You should tell him to solve all his biology problems by applying quantum physics/chemistry. And, tell him to use the relativistic version of QM, since standard QM theory is not really correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook