I found the answers, but the back of the book has something different?

• Thread starter PrecalcStuden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
I see where I went wrong, I was just looking for the solution to be a positive number and I didn't think about both numbers being negative. Thanks a million, you've been a great help!In summary, the problem is to solve ln ( 2 - 5x) > 2 and the solution is x < (2-e^2)/5. The simplification process involves changing the logarithmic equation to exponential form and multiplying both sides by -1 to match the signs of the inequality. Another example of this process is solving e^(x^2 - 4x) >= e^5, which simplifies to x <= -1 or x >= 5. The key is to pay attention to the
PrecalcStuden

Homework Statement

The problem is

ln ( 2 - 5x) > 2

Homework Equations

The answers for the back of the book is x < (2-e^2) / 5

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempt

ln ( 2 - 5x ) > 2

= ln 2 - ln 5x > 2

= - ln 5x > 2 - ln 2

= x < (2- ln 2) / -ln 5

Is there a way I can simplify this even more guys. thanks for all your help so far

Physics news on Phys.org
PrecalcStuden said:

Here's my attempt

ln ( 2 - 5x ) > 2

= ln 2 - ln 5x > 2

= - ln 5x > 2 - ln 2

= x < (2- ln 2) / -ln 5

Is there a way I can simplify this even more guys. thanks for all your help so far

Have a look at that line I've bolded. Perhaps have a look at your logarithm rules again, and see if you can see what you have done wrong. The answer the book has is infact correct.

danago said:
Have a look at that line I've bolded. Perhaps have a look at your logarithm rules again, and see if you can see what you have done wrong. The answer the book has is infact correct.

Thank you so much for over looking my work.

Let's see, I've think I've simplied it correctly this time, but is there a way to get it really bone dried simplied? Thanks for your help

I've got

= e^2 > 2- 5x

= e^2 - 2 > -5 x

= ( e^2 - 2) / -5 < x

I can't get the signs to match for some reason and negative and positive stuff. I'm so close my good sir

Your answer is correct now. It is exactly the same as the books answer, but they have just multiplied both the top and bottom of the fraction by -1, just to make it look a bit neater.

It is basically the same idea as -5/-2 = 5/2

danago said:
Your answer is correct now. It is exactly the same as the books answer, but they have just multiplied both the top and bottom of the fraction by -1, just to make it look a bit neater.

You're correct sir, but I still can't get my greater than or less than sign to match up. I'm mulitplying top and bottom by -1 so that's twice making my < sign stay the same. Thanks for over looking my work my kind sir, but just missing one part of the puzzle : )

PrecalcStuden said:
You're correct sir, but I still can't get my greater than or less than sign to match up. I'm mulitplying top and bottom by -1 so that's twice making my < sign stay the same. Thanks for over looking my work my kind sir, but just missing one part of the puzzle : )

Oh sorry didnt even realize you had the inequality sign the wrong way around. How did you you go from ln (2-5x) > 2 to e^2 > 2- 5x? It seems you have got the inequality sign the wrong way round here.

danago said:
Oh sorry didnt even realize you had the inequality sign the wrong way around. How did you you go from ln (2-5x) > 2 to e^2 > 2- 5x? It seems you have got the inequality sign the wrong way round here.

I don't understand, i wrote down the problem correctly, and i just change the original problem to better see it to:

log (base e) (2-5x ) > 2

Then I change it to the exponential form

e^2 > 2-5x

Did I miss something with the change of signs?

If ln (2-5x) > 2, then that should imply that 2-5x > e^2, not the other way around.

danago said:
If ln (2-5x) > 2, then that should imply that 2-5x > e^2, not the other way around.

But I didn't write down the problem wrong. I really don't understand where I missed the sign change.

You went from ln (2-5x) > 2 to e^2 > 2-5x. All I am saying is that you got the inequality sign the wrong way around in that first step.

danago said:
You went from ln (2-5x) > 2 to e^2 > 2-5x. All I am saying is that you got the inequality sign the wrong way around in that first step.

I see I have to keep an eye on that, if I'm having the same confuzino here. BTW, thank you for your time, can't say that enough, I am stressing about a big math final.

Like for example on antoher one I am stuck

e ^( x^2 - 4x) > = e ^ 5

I take the natural log of both sides and it becomes

X^2 - 4x >= 5

Then I subtract 5

x^2 - 4x - 5

and I factor

(x - 5 ) ( x + 1 ) >= 0

so x => 5 or x >= -1

But the back of the book says x <= -1 or x >=5

These signs are killing me, my friend

All good up until (x - 5 ) ( x + 1 ) >= 0.

What we are essentially saying there is that the product of two numbers (x-5) and (x+1) is positive. That means they must be the same sign; either both positive, or both negative.

Lets look at the case where they are both positive:
x-5>0 Therefore x>5
x+1>0 Therefore x>-1

We need when they are BOTH positive, so that only occurs when x>5.

If you do the same and find when they are BOTH negative, you will see that x<-1.

Does that make sense to you?

danago said:
All good up until (x - 5 ) ( x + 1 ) >= 0.

What we are essentially saying there is that the product of two numbers (x-5) and (x+1) is positive. That means they must be the same sign; either both positive, or both negative.

Lets look at the case where they are both positive:
x-5>0 Therefore x>5
x+1>0 Therefore x>-1

We need when they are BOTH positive, so that only occurs when x>5.

If you do the same and find when they are BOTH negative, you will see that x<-1.

Does that make sense to you?

danago, Thank you so much! yes that does make sense to me, because a positive times a positive equals a positive and a negative times a negative is a positive. I see why that would be a solutkion

Is there anyway I can repay you for all your help?

PrecalcStuden said:
danago, Thank you so much! yes that does make sense to me, because a positive times a positive equals a positive and a negative times a negative is a positive. I see why that would be a solutkion

Is there anyway I can repay you for all your help?

Exactly right :)

Just send the cheque to... haha nah no need to repay me in any way, i like helping out when i can. Good luck with your final!

Can't thank you enough, but i'll be sure to help other members in return with what i can. Thanks again

1. Why do my answers not match the back of the book?

There can be several reasons for this. It could be a mistake in your calculations or a misunderstanding of the question. It is also possible that the answers in the back of the book are incorrect.

2. How can I determine which answer is correct?

You can try double-checking your calculations and comparing them to the solution in the back of the book. You can also consult with your teacher or classmates for clarification.

3. Should I always trust the answers in the back of the book?

No, it is not always guaranteed that the answers in the back of the book are correct. They can be helpful for self-study, but it is important to verify and understand the solutions on your own.

4. What should I do if I consistently get different answers than the back of the book?

If you consistently get different answers, it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. They can assist you in identifying any mistakes and provide guidance on how to improve your understanding of the material.

5. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

To prevent this from happening, it is important to carefully follow the steps and formulas provided in the textbook. Make sure to double-check your work and seek help if you are unsure about a solution. Practice and understanding of the material will also help improve accuracy in finding the correct answers.