Stop Touching Me! I Hate Shower Curtains

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the shower curtain rods with a bowed out design allow more space between the curtain and the tub or shower.
tribdog
They're always touching me. STOP TOUCHING ME!

Physics news on Phys.org
I noticed shower curtains in a couple of hotel chains now have a transparent window at eye level - was there a rerun of Psycho recently?

Get a heavy duty shower curtain...really. The slightly more expensive ones are made of thicker, heavier vinyl (I assume you really mean shower curtain liner if it's on the inside). They stay in place much better. The cheap, lightweight ones are the ones that get sucked into the shower easily.

I just have a plastic curtain that's clear from top to bottom. It's never been a problem.

They make shower curtain rods that bow out, it gives you several inches of more space by your upper body.
The one I saw at Home Depot was around 40 bucks.

http://www.atrendyhome.com/noname2.html

My shower has a solid glass side, with a door...

I've usually had the solid glass ones too. I'd rather squeegee the glass than have the curtain attack me. The worst part is when you squirm away from the curtain and accidently touch the COLD wall.

hypatia said:
They make shower curtain rods that bow out, it gives you several inches of more space by your upper body.
The one I saw at Home Depot was around 40 bucks.

http://www.atrendyhome.com/noname2.html

Don't buy a rounded rod, they suck. We had one and they made the water leak out and onto the floor. Just stick with a nice heavy duty curtain :biggrin: Clear ones=bad...

Pfff... I learned to live with whatever shower I get. As long as the water is clean, I'm ok.

binzing said:
My shower has a solid glass side, with a door...

We used to have one of those too...until someone fell through it and showered the entire room in glass.

Now we have a curtain.

mcknia07 said:
Don't buy a rounded rod, they suck. We had one and they made the water leak out and onto the floor. Just stick with a nice heavy duty curtain :biggrin: Clear ones=bad...

The rounded rods need to be mounted a bit lower than a regular rod so that there is enough curtain on the bottom sticking inside of the tub or shower to keep it in place.

edward said:
The rounded rods need to be mounted a bit lower than a regular rod so that there is enough curtain on the bottom sticking inside of the tub or shower to keep it in place.

We did that, it was the fact that on the edges the water leaked out around the sides, I think we needed to have a longer one and one that attacked to the side of the tub/walls, but I'm not sure they have any like that.

mcknia07 said:
We did that, it was the fact that on the edges the water leaked out around the sides, I think we needed to have a longer one and one that attacked to the side of the tub/walls, but I'm not sure they have any like that.

we needed a longer one, we needed a longer one. god I'm so sick of hearing that

I meant a wider one, but anyways...

1. Why do shower curtains make me uncomfortable?

There could be a few reasons for this. Some people may have a fear or phobia of enclosed spaces, which can be triggered by the feeling of being surrounded by a shower curtain. Others may have had negative experiences with shower curtains, such as getting tangled in them or feeling like they are being watched through the curtain.

2. Is there a scientific explanation for why I hate shower curtains?

While there is no specific scientific explanation for this, there are a few theories. Some researchers suggest that it could be due to a primal fear of being attacked while vulnerable, as showering is a vulnerable state. Others believe it could be related to sensory processing issues, where the texture or movement of the shower curtain is overwhelming for some individuals.

3. Can my hatred for shower curtains be treated?

It is possible to overcome a fear or discomfort with shower curtains through therapy or exposure therapy. This can involve gradually exposing yourself to shower curtains in a safe and controlled environment to desensitize yourself to the fear.

4. Are there any alternative options for shower curtains?

Yes, there are some alternatives that may be more comfortable for individuals who hate shower curtains. These include glass shower doors, fabric curtains, or using a transparent shower curtain.

5. Is it normal to hate shower curtains?

While it may not be a common fear, it is not unusual for individuals to have a dislike or discomfort with shower curtains. It is important to address this fear if it significantly impacts your daily life, but it is also important to remember that everyone has their own unique fears and preferences.