Is Wal Mart's Convenience Worth the Controversy?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not saying that Wal-Mart is perfect, heck, I'm not even saying that they're the best, but they do pay their employees a fair wage and they offer a lot of benefits.
Moonbear said:
The only other time I felt "relaxed" while grocery shopping was when I was in a store in the evening when they were working on some sort of electrical problem, so were turning off half the lights at a time. I preferred the dimmer lighting since it was already evening, and wished they turned off one bank of lights all the time. When the full lights came back on, I realized just how overly-bright and harsh the lighting normally is.

I would suppose that slightly dimmer and more natural types of lighting (i.e. sunlight-esque) would appeal to customers more than rows upon rows upon rows of fluorescent. Its even worse outside with the huge sets of lights on the parking lot. A Wal-Mart and Lowes opened up near my parent's house, and I can't see the night sky anymore :grumpy: :grumpy:. So much for inspiring the potential youths in my town who want to become astronomers :grumpy:.

Physics news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
before everyone starts yelling at me, I'm not racist. Don't you see the comparison? comedy by exaggeration.
Don't worry trib, I got it right away.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Let’s have a PF gathering at a local wal-mart/kmart and have a good ole firebombing. Moonbear, bring the bottles, ill bring the vodka to fill them, trib bring the rags, and franz bring the lighter. We'll have a Molotov of a time. Burn baby burn! :cool:

Better yet, let's get mini bikes and circle the idiots in the parking lot trying go walk into the store. Hitting them with paddles.

I say we get all the crap thrown about the store and pile it up into a heap and burn it.

Who wants to be lookout for the cops?

Nix that, i'll bring the vodka, rum, whiskey, gin, tequila, triple sec, ooh i even got some aftershock still. You bring the lighter.

Gota save some of that to drink by the fire. Don't use up all the good stuff!

cyrusabdollahi said:
Gota save some of that to drink by the fire. Don't use up all the good stuff!

Don't worry, we'll only throw the smirnoff. Its only good for paint thinning and burning anyway. The Grey Goose, and the Chopin is for the drinking.

franznietzsche said:
My point was that judging someone's worth based on their registered voting affiliation is shallow and vapid. Apparently such an assessment of you is correct.

you didnt need to explain it. whatever "it" is.

Ivan said:
but now, instead of a skilled work force, we have min wage workers whose product knowledge ends with the aisle on which the product is found.
I'm waiting for the day that the big stores get a clue and start treating their employees right. If they invested more in their employees they would have better workers and make more money.
I worked at an art supply store once. All of the workers started at $2 above minimum wage with a full time work schedule. The manager also made sure that there were at least five employees working on any given shift, usually more. Because of this there was almost always someone available to help a customer with their questions and give them more attention than just pointing them towards a shelf. All the employees then also had plenty of time to keep their assigned "department"(really just an ailse or two) clean, organized, and fully stocked. We were also able to keep a pretty good mind for what was or was not instock and had the time to read and learn about the products in our departments.
What really blew me away were the number of people that would get jobs there and after one or two days would get intimidated and not show up any more. It was one of the easiest jobs I ever had. Half the time I was hanging out and talking with the other employees. The dress code was incredibly lax. One guy even had a mohawk and facial piercings.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm waiting for the day that the big stores get a clue and start treating their employees right. If they invested more in their employees they would have better workers and make more money.
I worked at an art supply store once. All of the workers started at $2 above minimum wage with a full time work schedule. The manager also made sure that there were at least five employees working on any given shift, usually more. Because of this there was almost always someone available to help a customer with their questions and give them more attention than just pointing them towards a shelf. All the employees then also had plenty of time to keep their assigned "department"(really just an ailse or two) clean, organized, and fully stocked. We were also able to keep a pretty good mind for what was or was not instock and had the time to read and learn about the products in our departments.
What really blew me away were the number of people that would get jobs there and after one or two days would get intimidated and not show up any more. It was one of the easiest jobs I ever had. Half the time I was hanging out and talking with the other employees. The dress code was incredibly lax. One guy even had a mohawk and facial piercings.

I'm not sure just raising wages alone would be enough. A large store like that just needs so many employees that I think they lose the ability to be picky and still keep the store fully staffed. It's not like a small shop near a college where you can staff it on mostly part-time help by hiring college students to rotate day and evening shifts (whichever days they're off from classes), and high school students to work the afternoons, still keeping those students eager to earn some extra money content with their jobs. You fill in the gaps with a full-time store manager and just a few other full-time employees who have supervisory roles (thus earn their higher salary). Places like WalMart (and any other big box store) are hiring anyone they can get their hands on, and worse, they're getting all those people who expect to make a career out of what should be a minimum wage job. I really don't understand the point of paying someone to say hello to people as they walk in the door, other than they probably hired this person and then realized there isn't a thing they can manage to do right, so tossed them out to wave to people as they come in the door. I find them a hindrance, because there's a line to grab a friggin' shopping cart with them around! Also, if you start paying these people higher salaries, they'll NEVER LEAVE for the store to hire more competent employees. Once the store is filled with people who do the minimum amount of work to stay employed, if you raise salaries, any new employee coming in who sees that nobody else does anything for that $2/hour more isn't going to be very motivated to work any harder than anyone else.

I had to run down to Wally World to get some plumbing supplies. The entire plumbing section was about five feet of shelf space!

We lost the hardware stores for this?

I hate Wal Mart.

Oh yes, I was directed by the Wal Mart greeter to "Home Disappointment", thirty miles away. This reminds me of the chant that the Wal Mart Salem workers were instructed to use while preparing for the store opening. This made all the local papers: "Stack em high, sell em low, watch the downtown businesses go". I find this mentality extremely offensive. And at least a few people at Home Depot actually know something.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I had to run down to Wally World to get some plumbing supplies. The entire plumbing section was about five feet of shelf space!

We lost the hardware stores for this?

I hate Wal Mart.

Oh yes, I was directed by the Wal Mart greeter to "Home Disappointment", thirty miles away. This reminds me of the chant that the Wal Mart Salem workers were instructed to use while preparing for the store opening. This made all the local papers: "Stack em high, sell em low, watch the downtown businesses go". I find this mentality extremely offensive. And at least a few people at Home Depot actually know something.
Walmart has a smattering of everything, not a lot of anything. That's what it's known for. I can buy a shotgun, a quart of milk, some donuts and a VCR. What more do you need at 3 am when you're drunk?

Evo said:
Walmart has a smattering of everything, not a lot of anything. That's what it's known for. I can buy a shotgun, a quart of milk, some donuts and a VCR. What more do you need at 3 am when you're drunk?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll have to get drunk and buy a gun, milk, donuts, and a VCR, at 3 AM, and let you know.

I'm thinking Three Musketeers Bar...

Ivan said:
I'm thinking Three Musketeers Bar...
I was thinking more booze.

Just how can you hate Walmart, I buy everything there. ::hides::

I don't do Wal Mart!

Sheesh, Ivan, If you want access to more shopping you will have to live somewhere closer to it! :biggrin:

I mean, even if you were to drive the extra 10mi to get to the "not really a" metropolitan area I live in, you could avoid WM. Unfortunately, Costco and Home Depot, both about a mile from my home, are not open 24hr. I did not know what WM is (see the first line) sure hope that I do not need something in the middle of the night and remember WM. I might be tempted. But then I am not sure that it would be safe to drive to L... late at night, I here the rednecks in that area can be pretty rough!

So, the suggestion is that I have to move because of WalMart? Now I really am ticked off! :biggrin:

At least they haven't run the feed and farm store out of business. I don't know what would do without good ole Glen.

...and it's over twenty miles... :grumpy: Heck, it's ten miles to the big oak tree.

Ivan Seeking said:
At least they haven't run the feed and farm store out of business. I don't know what would do without good ole Glen.
That's about the only store they aren't going to be taking over any time soon. Something tells me they don't carry enough grass seed in stock for OR farms. :biggrin:

...and it's over twenty miles... :grumpy: Heck, it's ten miles to the big oak tree.
You're not supposed to start counting until you're off your own property! :rofl:

Wasn't Wallyworld ... I mean Walmart begun by a down-home young fellow Sam Walton who grew up on a farm with small town values.. I can't hate a store with those kind of roots.

Back home in Indiana .. I would say http://www.target.com/gp/homepage.html/601-9429796-6087360 is just as competitive...
Discount stores really aren't all that new, as a kid I remember going to mill outlet stores (big warehouses) that beat the prices of the stores with the fancy front window displays (even Sears), hands down..

Ouabache said:
Back home in Indiana .. I would say http://www.target.com/gp/homepage.html/601-9429796-6087360 is just as competitive...
Discount stores really aren't all that new, as a kid I remember going to mill outlet stores (big warehouses) that beat the prices of the stores with the fancy front window displays (even Sears), hands down..
I've never seen a Target drive out small businesses, mostly because they have their own little niche market. It is actually a "cornerstone" store in one of the new shopping malls in our town, with lots of new stores coming in around it. Even with a bedding and clothing department in Target, there's a Bed Bath and Beyond that just opened next to it, and the two stores sell completely different styles of bedding, and some other clothing store right across from it...again different styles, though I'm still trying to figure out what that other store is all about...I think it must be meant to appeal to teens mostly. The whole shopping mall is like that, you have Target surrounded by specialty type stores, and they complement each other rather than competing each other out of business.

Outlet stores don't send others out of business because they sell things like product surpluses, last-year's styles, damaged or imperfect goods, and everyone knows this is what they are about. You still go to a regular store when you want quality, just go to the outlet for cheap, or to complete a set of something that's been discontinued. Outlets are also more hit-or-miss. You can't count on anything being in stock, they just have whatever they have that day, so if you are looking for a specific item, you're not going to go there. Instead, you'll go to an outlet because you just feel like shopping and want to see if they have anything you can use. It's a whole different approach.

i try to avoid shopping at wal-mart but some dvd's are just too good a deal to pass up..