I have 3 homework questions that i did, can someone just check for correctness?

• Thread starter username111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, we discussed three formulas: vf = vi+at, d = (vf+vi)/2 x t, and vf^2 = vi^2 + 2(a)(d). We used these formulas to solve problems involving highway safety barriers, a baseball pitcher's acceleration, and a bullet's acceleration in a rifle barrel. We also compared the acceleration values to gravity's acceleration of 9.80 m/s-squared. Overall, we used the given information to calculate the acceleration and distance in each scenario.
username111
i have all of the following formulas:
vf = vi+at
d = (vf+vi)/2 x t
d = (vi)(t) + 1/2(a)(t)^2
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2(a)(d)

1) Highway safety engineers build soft barriers so that cars hitting them will slow down at a safe rate. A person wearing a safety bel can withstand an acceleration of -300 m/s. how thick should barriers be to safety stop a car that hits a barrier at 110 km/h?

First, I converted 110 km/h to 30.6 m/s.

Given:
A = -300 m/s
Vi = 30.6 m/s
Vf = 0 m/s

Find:
d

Solution:

i used vf^2 = vi^2 + 2(a)(d) and plugged in all of the numbers given and solved for d.

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2(a)(d)
(0 m/s^2) = (30.6 m/s)^2 + 2(-300 m/s-squared)(d)
-936.36 m/s = 2(-300 m/s-squared)(d)
-936.36 m/s = (-600 m/s)(d)
d = 1.56m

2) A baseball pitcher throws a fastball at a speed of 44 m/s. The acceleration occurs as the pitcher holds the ball in his hand and moves it through an almost straight line distance of 3.5 m. Calculate the acceleration, assuming it is uniform. Compare this acceleration to the acceleration due to gravity, 9.80 m/s-squared.

Given:
Vi = 0 m/s
Vf = 44 m/s
d = 3.5 m

Find:
a

Solution:
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2(a)(d)
44 m/s^2 = 0 m/s^2 + 2(a)(3.5m)
1936 m/s = (7m)(a)
a = 276.57 m/s-squared

compared to gravity:
276.57 m/s-squared / 9.80 m/s-squared
= 28.22

3) If a bullet leaves the muzzle of a rifle with a speed of 600 m/s, and the barrel of the rifle is 0.9m long, what is the acceleration of the bullet while in the barrel?

Given:
Vi = 0 m/s
Vf = 600 m/s
d = 0.9 m

Find:
a

Solution:
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2(a)(d)
600 m/s^2 = 0 m/s^2 + 2(a)(0.9m)
360000 m/s = (1.8m)(a)
a = 200000 m/s-squared

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks good to me! :cool:

Your calculations and solutions seem correct. It's always a good idea to double check your work and make sure your units are consistent. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the purpose of checking homework for correctness?

The purpose of checking homework for correctness is to ensure that the student has a solid understanding of the material and to identify any areas where the student may need further clarification or practice.

2. Can someone else check my homework for correctness?

Yes, it is common for students to ask for help from peers, teachers, or tutors to check their homework for correctness. However, it is important to make sure that the person checking your homework is knowledgeable in the subject and can provide accurate feedback.

3. How do I know if my homework is correct?

The best way to know if your homework is correct is to compare your answers with the correct solutions or to have someone knowledgeable check your work. You can also try reworking the problems and checking your solution to see if you get the same answer.

4. Is it okay to have some mistakes in my homework?

It is natural to make mistakes while completing homework, as long as you are able to understand your mistakes and learn from them. However, it is important to strive for accuracy and to seek help if you consistently make the same mistakes.

5. What should I do if my homework is incorrect?

If your homework is incorrect, try to understand where you went wrong and correct your mistakes. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor to clarify any confusing concepts. It is also important to review your mistakes and understand them so that you can avoid making the same errors in the future.