I have a few questions about partial derivatives and potential functions.

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating a potential function and determining the appropriate components to use. The individual is also questioning the criteria for a force to be considered conservative.
vande060

Homework Statement

I have no homework problem to ask, but rather a general question.

Ill give and example of a potential function V = 3x^2 + 2y^2

i know to find Fx i have to differentiate 3x^2 with respect to x and 2y^2 with respect to y. But i have seen cases where someone takes the x component and differentiates with respect to y and the y component with respect to x. how do you know which one to use?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe i am just confusing the test for a force to be conservative

test for conservative: dFx/dy = dFy/dx

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the change in a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (the partial derivative symbol) and is used to analyze how a function changes in one direction.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative is different from a regular derivative in that it only considers the change in one variable while keeping all other variables constant. A regular derivative, on the other hand, considers the change in the entire function with respect to one variable.

3. What is a potential function?

A potential function is a function that represents the potential energy of a system. It is often used in the field of physics to describe the potential energy of a particle in a given field. It is also known as a scalar field, as it only has a magnitude and no direction.

4. How are partial derivatives used in potential functions?

Partial derivatives are used in potential functions to calculate the rate of change of potential energy with respect to a specific variable. This is important in determining the behavior of a system and can help predict how it will evolve over time.

5. Can you give an example of using partial derivatives in potential functions?

Sure! Let's say we have a potential function of a particle in a gravitational field, given by V(x,y,z) = 9.8x + 9.8y + 9.8z. The partial derivative with respect to x would be ∂V/∂x = 9.8, which represents the rate of change of potential energy in the x direction. Similarly, ∂V/∂y = 9.8 and ∂V/∂z = 9.8 would represent the rate of change in the y and z directions, respectively.