Answer: Job Hunting? Gear Question - Which Makes More Revolutions?

• Thread starter bikerken1977
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary, the speaker is looking for a job and has taken a mechanical aptitude test multiple times. They have a question about interconnecting gears and which one will make the most revolutions. The speaker believes it is the smallest gear, but is unsure due to the arrangement of the gears. They mention that this type of arrangement is not commonly used in real life.
bikerken1977
OK, so I'm looking for a job! I have had the same mechanical aptitude test3 or 4 times, and I just can't find an answer to one question that I really want to double check, just to make sure I am right. So here it is; There are 4 gear, just to ease the explanation I will say them like coin sizes. On the left is a nickle, it's the drive gear. Then you have (A) Quater (B) .50 cent piece, and (C) dime. These are placed like interconnecting gears. The question is which makes more revolutions (A) (B) or (C). Now, I believe it's (C) the smallest gear, a step smaller than the drive gear. However I am unsure because the 2 gears before it step up then step up again. So, which one makes more revolutions? Am I right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
the smallest 1 will make the max revolutions...

Another way to look at it is in-between gears make no difference. You could have a dinner plate sized gear between two nickels and the nickels would both turn at the same speed.

That's why you hardly ever see this type of arrangement in real life, it's basically useless except for direction changes.

1. What is the best way to start a job hunt?

The best way to start a job hunt is to first assess your skills, experience, and career goals. Then, research companies and positions that align with your qualifications and interests. Networking, updating your resume, and reaching out to connections are also important steps to kickstart your job search.

2. How do I stand out in a competitive job market?

To stand out in a competitive job market, you can tailor your resume and cover letter to highlight your unique skills and experiences. Additionally, networking and building relationships with professionals in your desired field can help you make valuable connections and stand out to potential employers.

3. What should I include in my job hunting gear?

Your job hunting gear should include your resume, cover letter, professional attire, a notebook and pen for taking notes during interviews, and any relevant documents or portfolio materials. You may also want to bring a list of references and business cards to exchange with potential employers.

4. Should I focus on quantity or quality when applying for jobs?

It's important to strike a balance between quantity and quality when applying for jobs. While it's important to apply to a sufficient number of positions, you should also take the time to tailor each application to the specific job and company. This shows attention to detail and can increase your chances of getting noticed by employers.

5. How can I prepare for job interviews?

To prepare for job interviews, research the company and position, practice common interview questions, and prepare thoughtful questions to ask the interviewer. It's also important to dress professionally, arrive early, and bring copies of your resume and any relevant documents. Additionally, try to relax and be yourself during the interview.