I honestly cannot believe I am stuck on this.

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
Broken] gives the picture of what is happening. The graph is undefined at x = -2, and as you approach x = -2 from the left or the right, the graph approaches infinity.In summary, the given inequality is equivalent to the double inequality -1 < 5/(x+2) < 1, which can be rewritten as -1 < x+2 < 1, giving the solution -7 < x < 3, with the restriction that x cannot equal -2. You attempted to solve the inequality by setting up a double inequality with a negative on the absolute value expression, which is incorrect.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Solve

[tex]\left | \frac{5}{x + 2} \right | < 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is that x= -2 is discontinuous. I thought about doing test points, but it seemed rather useless seeing I will probably end up with (-2, infinity) or (-inf, -2)

Computer says the solution is x < -7, x >3

I then thought about doing this

[tex]\left |5\right | < \left|x + 2\right|[/tex]
[tex]-|x + 2| < -5[/tex]
[tex]5 < -(x + 2) < -5[/tex]
[tex]-5 > x + 2 > 5[/tex]
[tex]-7 > x > 3[/tex]

I am sorry lol

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how you get the third step? :confused:

You should go by taking two cases.
What do get when you solve |x+2|? Definitely (x+2) and -(x+2). :smile:

If you solve these two equations:-
5<(x+2)
and
5<-(x+2)
You will get the desired result. :smile:

[tex]-7 > x > 3[/tex]

?

x is greater than 3 and less than -7?

See I don't know what I am doing lol

flyingpig said:

You can set up two inequalities (see Pranav-Anora's post). Or you can set up a double inequality since this problem is of the "less-than" variety. You attempted to do the double inequality method, but you shouldn't have a negative on your absolute value expression. I think you mixed two different methods into one. :wink:

Here's a general example of how you should've setup the double inequality:

Given |expression| < k, set up the double inequality, -k < |expression| < k and solve.

flyingpig said:

Why don't you try making a sketch of y= |5/(x+2)| and y=1 on the same set of axes.

flyingpig said:
Solve

All I know is that x= -2 is discontinuous.
No, the rational expression is undefined at x = -2.
flyingpig said:

Your inequality is equivalent to
|x + 2| > 5 and x [itex]\neq[/itex] -2

In general, if you have an inequality of the form |x + a| > b, you can get rid of the absolute values by rewriting this as
x + a > b or x + a < - b

For your problem, since x cannot be -2, any interval you end up with cannot include -2.

flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

Solve

All I know is that x= -2 is discontinuous. I thought about doing test points, but it seemed rather useless seeing I will probably end up with (-2, infinity) or (-inf, -2)

Computer says the solution is x < -7, x >3

[tex]-|x + 2| < -5[/tex]
[tex]5 < -(x + 2) < -5[/tex]
[tex]-5 > x + 2 > 5[/tex]
[tex]-7 > x > 3[/tex]

I am sorry lol

For real A, the inequality |A| < 1 is the same as -1 < A < 1.

RGV

1. What can I do to get unstuck?

One possible solution is to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try discussing the problem with colleagues or seeking out additional resources for help.

2. Why do I feel stuck on this particular problem?

There could be many reasons for feeling stuck on a problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding, not having enough information, or simply feeling overwhelmed. It's important to identify the root cause to find the best solution.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

One way to improve problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. You can also try breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, seeking out feedback and learning from mistakes can also help improve problem-solving abilities.

4. What are some common mistakes that can lead to feeling stuck on a problem?

Some common mistakes that can lead to feeling stuck include not thoroughly understanding the problem, not having a clear plan or approach, and not seeking out help or additional resources when needed. It's important to avoid these mistakes to prevent getting stuck on a problem.

5. How can I prevent feeling stuck in the future?

To prevent feeling stuck in the future, it's important to continuously work on improving problem-solving skills and seeking out help when needed. It can also be helpful to regularly reflect on past experiences and identify any patterns or areas for improvement. Additionally, maintaining a positive and open mindset can also aid in problem-solving and prevent getting stuck.