I hope that helps. How far will Lisa compress the spring?

• Thread starter octahedron
  • Start date
In summary, Lisa can reach a maximum speed of 20 m/s in the 100 m dash. If she jumps onto a sled that is 20 kg and sprints at 12 m/s, she has a maximum kinetic energy of 60 kg x 8 m/s or 96 kg. Her final kinetic energy is then 3.23 m.
octahedron

Homework Statement

A new event has been proposed for the Winter Olympics. An athlete will sprint 100 m, starting from rest, then leap onto a 20 kg bobsled. The person and bobsled will then slide down a 50 m long ice covered ramp, sloped at 20°, and into a spring with a carefully calibrated spring constant of 2300 N/m. The athlete who compresses the spring the farthest wins the gold medal. Lisa, whose mass is 40 kg, has been training for this event. She can reach a maximum speed of 12 m/s in the 100 m dash.

How far will Lisa compress the string?

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5415/p1056ra6.gif

Homework Equations

(0.5)*k*x_i^2 + (0.5)*m*v_i^2 + mgh = (0.5)*k*x_f^2 + (0.5)*m*v_f^2 + mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

0 + 0 + (40+20)(9.81)(50sin(20)) = 0.5*(2300)*(x_f)^2 + 0.5(60)(12)^2 + 0

after calculating everything, I'm getting

x_f = 2.23 meters

while the answer in the back is 3.2 meters. There's likely something in my solution that I missed. Could anyone point it out for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation in (2) looks to be saying x_i = x_f. That doesn't seem right.

Edit: Also, you didn't square x_i in your solution.

Corrected! Apologies for doing this again.

Edit: Also, you didn't square x_i in your solution.

I assumed that the spring is relaxed, thus x_i = 0. Is this flawed?

Last edited:
octahedron said:
Corrected! Apologies for doing this again.

I assumed that the spring is relaxed, thus x_i = 0. Is this flawed?
No, it isn't. I was looking at the wrong term.

I'm having problems seeing how you can say initial kinetic energy is zero here. If you're using the combined mass for mgh, I think you have to use 12 m/s for v_i.

Don't I still need to use that same velocity to find the compression distance in the RHS? If I use it initially, both KE's will cancel.

Edit: I do see your point that there does exist a v_i in the problem, which makes KE_i exist. Escapes me how to find it though.

Last edited:
When the spring is at max compression, velocity is zero. If it weren't, you would still have energy to be putting into the spring. Basically, everything goes into the spring.

Gotcha. So KE_i + PE_i = PE_spring_f ?

(.5)(20+40)(12)^2 + (20+40)(9.81)(50sin20) = .5(2300)(x_f)^2x_f = 3.54 meters. Does this sound about right? A little higher than the projected book value.

Yeah, I get the same value. I don't know, everything looks right.

I had the biggest issue with this problem until I realized that I was forgetting about momentum at the beginning of the problem!

m x v_i = (m + M) v_f

40kg x 12m/s = 60kg x v_f

v_f = 8 m/s

now you should get the correct answer!

Basically, you want to find the energy right before she gets to the spring. This is a two part problem:

1) find vf in the equation .5m(vi)^2 + mgh = .5m(vf)^2 + mgh
("h" is zero on the right side at the bottom of the hill, so actually solve this equation for vf:)
.5m(vi)^2 + mgh = .5m(vf)^2

Remember, "vi", although it appears to be 12 m/s, is actually 8 m/s in this problem because you need to take momentum into consideration (as discussed above). if lisa (40kg) runs at 12 m/s and jumps onto the sled of 20 kg, then take the momentum (40kg*12 m/s) and divide by the new total mass (60 kg) to get 8 m/s.

Now, you should solve for "vf" in the previous equation and get 19.97 (or just 20) m/s

2) Now we can solve the next equation: the kinetic energy (.5m(vf)^2) right before Lisa hits the spring is equal to the spring's elastic equation .5K(xf)^2

Solve for "xf": .5m(vf)^2 = .5K(xf)^2 (and remember, "vf" is 20 m/s)

after all this, you should get about 3.23 m, as the answer in the first post states :smile:

Related to I hope that helps. How far will Lisa compress the spring?

What is the definition of a "spring/energy problem"?

A spring/energy problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the potential energy, kinetic energy, and/or work done by a spring in a system. It often includes variables such as the spring constant, displacement, and mass.

How do you calculate the potential energy of a spring?

The potential energy stored in a spring can be calculated using the formula U = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. This equation is based on Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement.

What is the work-energy theorem and how is it related to spring problems?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In a spring problem, the work done by the spring is equal to the change in potential energy, according to the conservation of energy. This theorem can be used to solve for unknown variables in a spring system.

What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy in a spring system?

Potential energy is the energy stored in a spring when it is compressed or stretched, while kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. In a spring system, potential energy is converted to kinetic energy as the spring is released and the object moves.

How can I apply the principles of spring and energy to real-world situations?

The principles of spring and energy can be applied to various real-world situations, such as in engineering, sports, and everyday life. For example, understanding the energy stored in a spring can help in designing a more efficient car suspension system or calculating the potential energy of a pole vaulter before they jump. It can also be used to understand the behavior of objects like trampolines or pogo sticks.